PDA

View Full Version : Matching a Factory Finish

Dennis McDonaugh
02-21-2007, 9:12 PM
We recently bought eight new chairs and a dining room table. It has a cherry finish on it and now SWMBO has decided she can't find a hutch she likes so I'm going to going to have to build it. I'm plan to use cherry and she wants to match the factory finish on the table. However, it doesn't look like any finish I've seen on solid cherry furniture. Instead of being "bright" and bringing out the wood grain it is is a very dark red, almost like mahogany, but near the edges of the table it has a dark cast, like they sprayed it with black dye around the edges, then put the cherry finish on top. It has a very "flat" sheen, like something between semi-gloss and satin.

Anyone have any idea how they finish new furniture like that?

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Do yourself a favor and build the hutch out of maple, alder or poplar rather than cherry. You're going to have to do a multi-step finishing regimen to get close to the color and that's going to involves dyes, glazes and whatnot to pull off. The alternative woods will give you grain and pore properties not unlike cherry and cost you far less. You'll also avoid the complaints when the piece gets darker than the factory stuff once the cherry oxidizes a year or two from now. (There is a very good chance that the wood/veneer in your factory furniture isn't cherry at all or at least completely)

Howard Acheson
02-22-2007, 11:58 AM
To amplify on Jim's comments. Commercial furniture finishes are frequently multi-step processes. The can start with first bleaching the wood to take out all the natural color. Then dyes, sealers, pigment stains, toner and clear coats are used to create the final color. In many cases, the wood is not what you think it is. Much "cherry" furniture is really a different wood finished to give what is described as a "cherry finish".

Here are a couple of things you can do. First call the manufacturer of you table and chairs and ask them what finishes they used. They may tell you but frequently they will not. Second, if you want the best job done, consider finding a professional custom finisher and let them do it.

Steve Schoene
02-22-2007, 1:53 PM
Another thing to consider is that there is no rule that furniture must all be bought en suite. If you go for a finish that coordinates with the table, but is different enough in coloration that there is no way to think that you tried for a match and didn't quite get there.

With care an "amateur" finisher can achieve a nicer finish than comes from the factory, where much of what is done is to enable them to build furniture with mis-matched woods. But to accurately match a factory finish is very tough.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Another thing to consider is that there is no rule that furniture must all be bought en suite. If you go for a finish that coordinates with the table, but is different enough in coloration that there is no way to think that you tried for a match and didn't quite get there.

With care an "amateur" finisher can achieve a nicer finish than comes from the factory, where much of what is done is to enable them to build furniture with mis-matched woods. But to accurately match a factory finish is very tough.

Steve, apparently you've never met my wife. There is a rule in our house that all furniture in the same room match exactly. The second rule is the furniture, even priceless antiques must look brand spanking new. Its caused a lot of consternation over the years and now I know my place. BTW, have you ever contemplated buying a $2000 antique wardrobe only to be asked if you can "refinish" it? I didn't think so. Anyway, if you reread my original post I said: "Now I have to build it." and I'm not looking forward to it. She is very demanding and not very understanding when you tell her "Yes dear a 1/4" thick shelf looks very elegant, but it won't hold its shape much less any china.

Jim, Howard, thanks for the tip on the other woods. I think I'll prep some and see what kind of finish I can come up with for this project. I believe that'll be the hardest part.

In reality, I'm hoping we can find one to buy before I start.

Jim Becker
02-24-2007, 9:35 PM
I think I'll prep some and see what kind of finish I can come up with for this project. I believe that'll be the hardest part.

In reality, I'm hoping we can find one to buy before I start.

A most excellent idea and practice...everyone should do this if at all possible for best results!