PDA

View Full Version : Best (store bought) Router table or Shaper table?

Ben Grunow
02-21-2007, 8:58 PM
I am tooling up to make cabinets and I think I want a router table but after reading a recent thread about shapers.. I dont know which I want. Occasional use for sticking (good fence and miter sled/slot, etc.) and raising panels and very occasional moulding milling. I would like to spend around $1000 and need to be able to run my current router bits and have DC capability. Ilike a larger table than most RTs afford too.

Any one recently solve this problem? THe router table world (no time to make my own) is complicated where the shaper seems like something that comes mostly assembled and ready to use. No matching routers to plates to tables and optional fences to confuse me. I need something good and ready to go as the job is waiting. 110 or 220.

Please help.

Ben

Martin Shupe
02-21-2007, 9:25 PM
Check out the Bench Dog line of products. You can google it for the website.

I built Norm's router table around their top, fence, and router lift, with a Porter-Cable 7518.

If you don't have time to build, you can buy the whole thing, some assembly required.

Not cheap, but quality IMHO.

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 9:56 PM
Martin spoke a wonderful idea...I just bought the BenchDog cast iron router table extension/top which will become the "shaper" station on my sliding saw. It's an awesome product...real quality. It, combined with their lift with a compatable "big router" motor (mine is a PC7518) makes for a really solid routing system. BD will sell the system including a cabinet, but I suggest you at least build your own cabinet. It makes for a great project and you can have it exactly like you want it.

David Cramer
02-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Another vote for Bench Dog, as Martin and Jim said.

I bought the top and fence and am making my own cabinet to go underneath (any month now). They have great products in my opinion and you should definitely find something to fit the bill. Good Luck with your choice Ben.

Dave

Ben Grunow
02-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Just a quick look on woodcraft reveals the bench dog cast iron unit for $469 with cabinet, drawers and fence. Now I need router and miter doodad. Suggestions? I have read alot about DW but have no preference. Like PC though. Dont want to skimp on power... 3.5 hp?

Here I am confused about how it all works. Will any router fit this thing?

Ben Grunow
02-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Another look at woodcraft reveals no lift in kit and instructions on how to assemble plate/lift, etc. PITA. I am tired and looking for instant gratification. Sorry.

Ben

Ben Grunow
02-21-2007, 11:03 PM
How about a quick review of router, lift, plate and miter guage that work togeher on the bench dog kit (CI top with cabinet).

Customer has just asked me to build 8 built ins and it is time to pick a tool and get it in the shop and feed it wood. Project will pay for tooling so time is now more important than $. I would like to have more time to research but here I am. Guide me Creekers. Spend my money and make me happy.

I am really tired. Sorry again.

Corey Hallagan
02-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Ben, I am a dewalt router fan. I have the big DW 625 and while it is a nice router and plenty of power, it is not best suited for a router table. Check out the Tritons, Milwaukee's and the PC that Jim mentioned.

Corey

Mike Langford
02-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Ben, Check out this one from MLCS
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FLYSN4/ref=pd_luc_02302B00005RHP5B000FLYSN4/002-6304013-6521655

Only $179.95

Rod Sheridan
02-22-2007, 7:15 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52351

Have a look at this link please..............Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
02-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Ben, I have the Bench Dog lift on order. It's primarily designed for use with the PC7518 router motor but will work with others of the same diameter or smaller diameter motors with the available adapters. With the CI top, you need to use a lift/insert that physically fits in the table as you really cannot change the "hole in the table" like you can on a shop-built top.

Oh, you should see if the Amazon discount code still works for the 20% off on the routing stuff including BenchDog. I saved a bit of money that way on my order, despite having to wait for a few items. I can live with that.

I also just ordered the BenchDog switch setup as it will be just right for easy mounting where I need it to go. Not inexpensive, but very well designed and reviewed.

Curt Harms
02-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Just a quick look on woodcraft reveals the bench dog cast iron unit for $469 with cabinet, drawers and fence. Now I need router and miter doodad. Suggestions? I have read alot about DW but have no preference. Like PC though. Dont want to skimp on power... 3.5 hp?

Here I am confused about how it all works. Will any router fit this thing?

If you're doing even side commercial work and do raised panels & larger moldings, would a shaper be a better long term choice? The only downside to shapers except for more expensive but longer lasting tooling is small router bits require slower feed than with a router table 'cause you're looking at 10,000 RPM vs. 23,000 RPM or whatever. OTOH, induction motors live longer and are quieter than universal motors on routers. The shaper also has reverse though you'd need a stock feeder to use climb cut feeding. A friend has the small Grizzly shaper for making picture frame stock and loves it.

Curt

glenn bradley
02-22-2007, 1:07 PM
MLCS is now offering a CI top as well but probably too new for any feedback:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/routabl4.html#cast_iron_exten_anchor

Dave Falkenstein
02-22-2007, 3:08 PM
I have been happy with products from Woodpeckers:

http://www.woodpeck.com/combo.html