PDA

View Full Version : #5 resto

Ron Crusee
02-21-2007, 8:15 PM
Don't know the exact age on this plane. Maybe someone here can help.

Got it at the flee market for a hefty sum of $5.00. Disassembled, stripped, de-rusted, flattened, and repainted. I'm used to restoring machinery so this was a relaxing afternoon project. :)

Doug Littlejohn
02-21-2007, 8:36 PM
That's a real nice plane you've got there Ron and for $5 qualifies for a YOU SUCK !!!!

Now that is over, follow this link for everything you need to know about Stanley planes, http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

You have what is known as a 'Sweetheart' plane named for the Heart shape witht the SW inside. I believe (off the top of my head) that it would be a type 12-13 and places it around 1920-1930.

Type 11's and 'Sweetheart's' are the most sought after types and are considered (generally) to be the best Stanley had to offer (other than Bedrocks but that's another story).

Also, go to Rarebear's site to learn how to refurb, though your's look's like it doesn't need much.

Make sure and let us know how it works once it's all tuned up.

Sherwood

Martin Shupe
02-21-2007, 9:28 PM
Ron,

Very, very nicely done.

Did you use paint or Japanning? Just curious. Whatever you did, it looks like you did a great job.

Any chance of putting together a tutorial for the rest of us?

Caleb Dietrich
02-21-2007, 9:50 PM
Good find. Looks like you did a nice job tuning it up. I think the last post was right about 20's or 30's. I don't get too caught up in the dating, but if you find a SW "sweetheart," one with a keyhole shaped hole in the levercap (not a kidney bean), it is generally pre-WWII, and a good quality plane. There are other ways to tell, but that makes it easy. I also noticed the tote has some of the original sticker on it. Those don't make it through the years very often. It adds a nice little bit of character. I find my #5 to be a very good all around plane. A lot of the time I use it to "save the edge" on some of my more job specific planes, by taking a few passes with the #5 and then letting them make the final pass. It also works well as a small jointer.

Steve Clardy
02-22-2007, 2:16 PM
Has a raised ring under the front knob, so that puts it above a type 13.
Type 13's had no raised ring.
Number of patent dates? I can't quite tell in your picture.
Looks like a 14 or 15

Ron Crusee
02-22-2007, 8:34 PM
Thanks for the comments. I've used the plane a few times and it performs very well.

Martin after cleaning thoroughly I used a primer coat and then topcoat of Rustoleum Professional Enamel. Looks nice and it's very durable. Not sure about a tutorial as there's already a lot of info out there on restoring i.e. Rarebears site; but mostly brass wire wheel, various grit sandpaper, paint stripper, de-greaser, elbow grease... I did use a stationary belt sander for the heavy grinding on the bottom and sides and was able to get them like new square and flat.

Steve it just says
U.S. Pat
APR 19 - 10

Ron

Steve Clardy
02-22-2007, 9:04 PM
Good looking resto.

Without taking the time to look over my paperwork, I'd say offhand it's a type 14.