PDA

View Full Version : Pneumatic Stapler Problem

Jerry Solomon
12-07-2003, 4:45 PM
I have a P-C NS100 narrow crown stapler stapler. I have a a couple of intermittent problems with it. The first is it sometimes fails to drive the staple fully into the wood, leaving 1/4" or more of the staple head exposed. I assumed that the problem might be low air pressure (pressure was about 60 psig) but when I increased it to 80 psig, the problem persists. The second is that it frequently double fires. I was using it today building a crate out of 3/8" plywood. I was driving staples through the thickness of one piece of plywood and into the edge of a second piece of 3/8" plywood. The fasteners were 1" P-C staples.

I notice that the problems are less frequent if I hold the gun VERY hard against the wood (hard enough to mar the surface) and if the wood is braced against something VERY solid (i.e. concrete driveway), but they still occur even in those circumstances.

Is something I have to learn to live with?

Don Abele
12-07-2003, 4:52 PM
Jerry, does your gun have a red trigger? I have the NS-100A which does. These are safety triggers and only allow the gun to fire once per trigger pull. My stapler, finish nailer, and brad nailer never double fire. My framing nailer is another story. It happens quite a bit. I was told it has to do with it kicking back from the impact, you pushing forward reactively, and when the nose safety clears (impact on the wood) it fires another one. This happens more often on unsupported pieces as they are springy and kick back more. I've been told also you can order the red safety switches from PC.

As for the depth of the staple, have you adjusted the wheel on the gun itself? There's a little wheel under the trigger that allows you to set the depth of the staple regardless of air pressure.

Hope this helps, be well,

Doc

Jerry Solomon
12-07-2003, 5:28 PM
Don - My tool doesn't have the red trigger. I noticed something in the owners manual about being able to get one free of charge. It might be something to think about as I don't use it in the "bump" fire mode anyway. As for the depth control, I can't see any adjustment for this anywhere on the tool. The owners manual doesn't mention such an adjustment and states that the depth is controlled by the air pressure. This may be a feature on the NS100A. Thanks for the reply - Regards, Jerry

Todd Burch
12-07-2003, 5:42 PM
Those "single fire" triggers are called restrictive triggers. I ordered one from Senco, free of charge, for my framing nailer.

Not fully driving a staple/nail is typically a problem with not holding the gun firm enough against the work, assuming you are using the proper air pressure. Also, you may be getting some blow-by with the o-rings too. Do you keep it oiled? Try the wheel like Doc suggested. I have not used that particular stapler, but with my Sencos, they rarely mis-fire or fail to fully seat a staple.

Hope you figure it out. Todd.

Jerry Solomon
12-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Todd - I ordered one of the restrictive triggers this morning. The stapler is relatively new and has had almost no use so I'd be surprised if the o-rings are leaking - but stranger things have happened. I normally place a few drops of the P-C supplied oil in the inlet before each use as recommended in the manual. Hopefully, the new trigger will solve one of the problems. Thanks for your reply - Jerry