PDA

View Full Version : Bio of a Sawmill Creek noob

Eric Wong
02-21-2007, 7:04 PM
I'm pretty new to these boards, so I thought I would post a quick bio for anyone who cares about such things.

I live in Denver, Colorado, with my wife and a golden retriever named Libby. She was kind enough to allow me to use her photo for my avatar (my dog, not my wife.) In case you are wondering, in the photo she has a potato in her mouth.

I am 39 years old, "nearly ancient" as my neighbor's kids would say, but I'm sure I'm right in the middle around here :D. I've been woodworking for about 10 years. It all started when I was shopping for furniture and said, "I can either spend $3,000 on furniture, or spend it on tools and make all the furniture I want!" Now, ten years and at least $12,000 later, my wife is still wondering when "the real furniture" is going to start showing up.

I spent several years working part time at my local Woodcraft, and I continue to work there as an instructor. I learned a whole lot about woodworking there, probably more than I would have just hiding out in my shop.

My real job is in sales for a Pathology company. There is a priceless look on people's faces when I tell them I sell prostate biopsies. Actually, I sell the pathologists' interpretations on the biopsies, and a whole lot of other stuff that would bore you to tears (unless you happen to be a gynecologist, urologist, or dermatologist. In that case, I'll give you my card.)

I used to love the Badger Pond forums, and I was a semi-regular poster there. After it shut down I sort of wandered around, lurking in a few forums but never making the committment. Then I found you.

Eric

David Cramer
02-21-2007, 7:17 PM
Welcome Eric

My wife is wondering the same thing about me and when I am going to start making real furniture. I keep telling her patience, patience my dear. Although I was never on Badger Pond and never heard of it until people have made reference to it here, I am new here and will tell you what you already know. This place is a great hang out with a lot of talented, unselfish woodworkers who have no issues about sharing info. No problems that I've run into since I signed up on New Years Day. Nice, polite people, period. Enjoy your stay friend!

Dave

p.s. And yes, that's an interesting occupation you have there:eek: .

Rob Blaustein
02-21-2007, 7:19 PM
It all started when I was shopping for furniture and said, "I can either spend $3,000 on furniture, or spend it on tools and make all the furniture I want!" Now, ten years and at least $12,000 later, my wife is still wondering when "the real furniture" is going to start showing up.
You too, huh?
Welcome.
-Rob

Mike Cutler
02-21-2007, 7:29 PM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek Eric. I'm sure you'll recognize more than a few names from the Badger Pond days.

glenn bradley
02-21-2007, 7:50 PM
Welcome Eric!

Glen Blanchard
02-21-2007, 7:56 PM
Welcome to the Creek Eric.

Dennis Peacock
02-21-2007, 7:58 PM
Hello Eric. I seem to remember you from Badger Pond days. Welcome to SMC. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2007, 8:22 PM
Welcome to the Creek Eric!

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 8:33 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Eric! And note that Badger Pond going to the "great forum cemetery in the Ether" was a major force in the establishment of SMC...

Which "end" of the Denver area do you live in? 'Creeker visits happen, you know... ;)

Paul Douglass
02-21-2007, 8:38 PM
Welcome aboard, Eric. Rule number 1, Pictures. Rule number 2, more pictures. Great dog, but why a potato in Colorado? Was he really born in Idaho?

Eric Wong
02-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Eric! And note that Badger Pond going to the "great forum cemetery in the Ether" was a major force in the establishment of SMC...

Which "end" of the Denver area do you live in? 'Creeker visits happen, you know... ;)

I live in Highlands Ranch, a large suburb on the south side of Denver. Any 'Creekers who want a visit are welcome! My shop's a mess, but I love to share it and talk the talk.

Eric Wong
02-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Welcome aboard, Eric. Rule number 1, Pictures. Rule number 2, more pictures. Great dog, but why a potato in Colorado? Was he really born in Idaho?

She picks up anything I drop and carries it around like her latest toy. Then she carries it out in the yard and rolls on it. Potato, tomato, live field mouse, tennis balls....

Eric Wong
02-21-2007, 10:18 PM
OK Paul, here's a picture of a table I did about a year and half ago, Thomas Moser design....Not sure how to put in pictures, let's see if this works.

Jerry Olexa
02-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Eric, Welcome. I like your sense of humor...Nice work on the DR table

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
I live in Highlands Ranch, a large suburb on the south side of Denver. Any 'Creekers who want a visit are welcome! My shop's a mess, but I love to share it and talk the talk.
Excellent. My business phone number is actually in Highlands Ranch...but rings an IP phone here in PA. I have a woodworking coworker in your neighborhood as well as an "adoption friend" family. I'll put you on my list for a visit next time I have some freedom to roam when in the area...my visits are generally up in Westminster, but outside of rush hour, it's not a bad trek. Good food down your way, too...

Oh, an many of my own projects are Moser designs or Moser insprired. Between Thos Moser and George Nakashima...I have lots of good ideas to play with!

Jim Dunn
02-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Why would a gynecologist want info on a prostate?? Married 35yrs and still totally confused:) As to wood working, I welcome you to a great place for a swim.

Eric Wong
02-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Why would a gynecologist want info on a prostate?? Married 35yrs and still totally confused:) As to wood working, I welcome you to a great place for a swim.

I guess I wasn't so clear on that part... as a pathology practice, we diagnose tissue biopsies and cytologies from all body parts and from almost all specialty practices. I call on ob/gyn's, dermatologists, urologists, gastroenterologists, ENT's, family practices, and even podiatrists. About the only specialty I don't call on is orthopedics. I even have some eye surgeons as clients.

I just tell people the prostate biopsy thing to see what kind of reaction I get. Usually its something like, "Ooookaaay, well, how about them Broncos?" Either that or they just stand there and turn bright red. :D

Jim Dunn
02-22-2007, 7:28 AM
I'd like to meet ya Eric, but it would remind me of my need for an exam. Glad your in Colorado, How bout them KC Chiefs?

Nice table though.

scott spencer
02-22-2007, 8:30 AM
Welcome to SMC Eric! Nice bunch here.

BTW...did anyone ever mention that in your avatar pic you resemble an old golden retriever? :D

;)

John Miliunas
02-22-2007, 8:44 AM
Hey Eric, great having you at the Creek! As it happens, I still work part time at a local Woodcraft. (Just can't seem to give up the great discounts! :D ) Anyhow, sounds and now looks like you've got some great woodworking experience under your belt. That table looks great! :) Really looking forward to more post and, of course, pictures! :) :cool:

Tom Hamilton
02-22-2007, 8:46 AM
Welcome Eric: your woodworking history (read promises made) and mine are in sync. I'm running out of excuses however, have you got any fresh ones...that work!

Enjoy your wade in the Creek, Tom

David Giles
02-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Welcome! I remember the first project. It was a footstool made from $5000 worth of WW equipment. Fortunately, the cost has been amortized over the last several years.!

Zahid Naqvi
02-22-2007, 10:34 AM
welcome to the creek Eric.

Jerry Ingraham
02-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Welcome Eric! I restarted my woodworking journey in almost exactly the same manner, hmm pay $700.00 for this mdf painted hutch or spend $500.00 on a tablesaw and router and build it myself? Sixteen years later, dedicated shop with more tools than I can use, I oughta start on that hutch....:p