View Full Version : formica holes

Harry Goodwin
02-21-2007, 7:00 PM
We have about 30 holes to put in drawers for locks. They are 21/32nds and have laminant face. Any suggestions for a nice entrance hole in laminant? Harry

David Cramer
02-21-2007, 7:04 PM
A sharp forstner bit or even a spade bit, but put down masking tape before you make the cut. If you can keep'er steady, a forstner bit will give you a great cut. Use a 120 or higher sandpaper to take the sharp edge off the the bit will leave behind. Again, a sharp spade will work, but it must be sharp and be going into tape to make sure you don't have chip out on the edges. Good luck!

Dave

Harry Goodwin
02-21-2007, 7:10 PM
Thanks for the help. Harry

David Cramer
02-21-2007, 7:23 PM
No problem Harry, and please let me know how it works out. Either through a pm or the boards. Again, good luck and I'm sure it'll go smoothly. Keep a lot of downward pressure on that drill if you're using a forstner bit. At least until it reams out the 1/16 laminate. Then you're home free!

Dave

Jamie Buxton
02-21-2007, 9:15 PM
In my unhappy experience, drill bits skitter around on formica. To do your job, I'd use a plunge router with a template guide. The template would just have a circular hole in it. It'd also have fingers hooking over two edges of the drawer front, so the bored holes would be in the same place on all 30 drawers.

Paul Kinneberg
02-21-2007, 9:56 PM
I just made a down draft table with over a 100 3/4" inch holes in the way Dave described with the blue masking tape and being carful I didn't have any issues. I have never tried plunging them but suspect it would work as well if not better.

David Cramer
02-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Your method is a "great suggestion" Jamie.

Along those same lines of making a jig to plunge the holes with a router, one could be made to be clamped to the drawer face and therefore keep the forstner bit steady/straight if drilling by hand. Either will work, I guess it just depends on ones personal tool arsenal.

I have drill so many 1 3/8" holes in the last 10 years using just a cordless drill, that it was the first thing to pop in my mind. I just do it so quick and so often, that I guess I don't even think about it. Thanks for adding your suggestion to the mix.

Dave

Jeff Weight
02-22-2007, 12:20 AM
If you use a center punch, you should be fine. :)

Steve Clardy
02-22-2007, 2:11 PM
Sharp spade bit, which can be ground down to the size you need, or forestor bit.