PDA

View Full Version : mesquite table complete

John Piwaron
12-07-2003, 3:33 PM
this is a mesquite table I completed within the last week. I began construction oh so long ago, but about two months ago started work in earnest. I incorporated a piece of petrified wood I got at the gift shop in Petrified Forest National Park, Arizona last June. It seemed like a better idea to do this that let it clutter up a drawer ultimately getting lost.

John Piwaron
12-07-2003, 3:34 PM
Those are existing chairs. I intend to make new ones for this table. I'd like windsor style, but the arms can't be any higher than 25" from the floor in order to clear the aprons. Any ideas?

Jim Becker
12-07-2003, 4:07 PM
Absolutely beautiful table, John. And that was very creative to us the petrified wood as an inlay!

As to your chairs, there are a number of "Windsor" designs that shouldn't present a problem relative to the arms...some don't have "formal" arms at all. You might look at Thos Moser's site (http://www/thosmoser.com) for some ideas. Some of George Nakashima's designs would also lend themselves to this table's solid look. You do need to be careful about using something that does not have enough weight to look comfortable with that sturdy table top.

Don Abele
12-07-2003, 5:00 PM
John, beautiful table. What are the legs and apron made of? Thanks for the pic.

Be well,

Doc

Todd Burch
12-07-2003, 5:56 PM
Nice looking table. John. What are the dimensions? What did you fiish it with? What are the other "specs?"

Todd.

Julie Wright
12-07-2003, 6:03 PM
Really Beautiful Table. What did you finish it with?
THanks for sharing

Mike Kelly
12-07-2003, 7:11 PM
Fantastic job. Can you tell us where your source for the wood is, what finish, glue, problems etc.? Are you going to make the chairs from Mesquite too?

John Piwaron
12-07-2003, 7:27 PM
Fantastic job. Can you tell us where your source for the wood is, what finish, glue, problems etc.? Are you going to make the chairs from Mesquite too?

The legs and apron are hard maple. I used 15 metal Z clips. There's a board joining the long aprons in the center. I did a sliding dovetail on each end of that. The legs are 2.25" square tapering on two sides to 1.25" square at the floor. LOML wanted me to put felt pads on the bottom to protect the floor. The top is 60" long and 36" wide and 1.25" thick.

The legs, apron and bottom surface of the table top are finished with 4 coats of Waterlox. The top and edges of the table top are finished with 3 coats of Behlen's rockhard tabletop varnish.

I'm planning on hard maple for the chairs, but I'll see how that goes since I have zero experience with chairs. What it really ends up being depends on what I learn about chairmaking between now and construction.

The planks for the top were glued with ordinary Tightbond. Mesquite has a lot of cracks/splits/wind shakes, ect. and those were filled with West System epoxy. No dye added except for around the petrified wood. Two of the cracks are big enough to pass light, and one is big enough to definitely look through it. All other cracks don't pass light so look black. And even those two look black except when looking straight through.

The mesquite came from Texas Kiln Products.

The table is heavy enough I have to get my son to help move it for working on it. I don't expect much moving around now however.

Todd Burch
12-07-2003, 9:13 PM
I've been to Texas Kiln Products in Bastrop, Texas. It's about 75-80 minutes from Katy. Nice folks. They use a woodmizer to cut up Mesquite and have a dehumidification kiln and a vacuum kiln for drying the really thick stuff. They do a lot of Pecan and Mesquite flooring. They have a special deal for their "waste" yard (or at least they did a few years ago). Whatever you can put in your pickup truck costs $25 a load. And, there are a LOT of big ends that they cut off of curved logs. At that price, that's barbque wood money!!

Again John, nice table. Todd.

Brad Hammond
12-07-2003, 9:17 PM
i have always loved the look of mesquite and that table really shows it's beauty!

great job

Bruce Page
12-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Beautiful table John. God I love the grain character of mesquite!!

I am opposed to millionaires, but it would be dangerous to offer me the position. — Mark Twain

Jason Tuinstra
12-07-2003, 11:28 PM
John,

Great looking table. The contrast between the maple and the mesquite really makes this piece stand out. I especially like the arched aprons. Nice job. Thanks for showing it off.

Jason

Mike Kelly
12-08-2003, 5:45 PM
I've been to Texas Kiln Products in Bastrop, Texas. It's about 75-80 minutes from Katy. Nice folks. They use a woodmizer to cut up Mesquite and have a dehumidification kiln and a vacuum kiln for drying the really thick stuff. They do a lot of Pecan and Mesquite flooring. They have a special deal for their "waste" yard (or at least they did a few years ago). Whatever you can put in your pickup truck costs $25 a load. And, there are a LOT of big ends that they cut off of curved logs. At that price, that's barbque wood money!!

Again John, nice table. Todd.

Thanks Todd and John. I am heading to Texas Kiln Products with my truck and check out their waste yard! They are about 35 miles from me.

Matt Bridges
12-08-2003, 10:17 PM
SWMBO and I agree that the table is gorgeous! Maybe it'll get me some new tools cause I'm sure she wants me to try to built some furniture LOL

Matt

Jerry Hartsell
12-09-2003, 10:00 AM
[.

Nice table John-------and windsor chairs would look great with it!! However----I think it would be a mistake to try making them 100% from hard maple. Maple is good for the undercarriage and maybe even for the seat but it is extremely hard to carve. The back, if it has bent parts, should be a wood with strength and good bending properties (such as oak, hickory or ash). Other woods can be bent but the success rate is much lower than the ones I mentioned. I am sure you will work it out since it is apparant you have the skills to do a chair. Keep up the good work!!! Jerry Hartsell

Dave Smith
12-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Hi John,

Beautiful wood. Your inlay brings a new meaning to rock hard table top. Thanks for taking the time to share your latest accomplishments. The corner brackets look substantial to me. It sure is nice to be able to take legs off when moving large tables.

Keep up the good work.

Dave Smith

Sanding and dyeing today in Longview, WA.

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-09-2003, 8:48 PM
Thanks Todd and John. I am heading to Texas Kiln Products with my truck and check out their waste yard! They are about 35 miles from me.

Texas Kiln is a bit on the high side for lumber (in my experience), but they usually have a good stock of almost clear 4/4 up to maybe 5' long. And usually a good stock of nearly perfect 4/4 up to maybe 3'. They're on my very short list of reliable sources of clean material (I was there last week, as a matter of fact).

Another source I recently discovered is Mesquite and Hardwood Milling in Burnett. They've got just scads of high quality Texas mesquite, and double scads of South American mesquite.

Nice table, John. :D