PDA

View Full Version : Oneway Drum Chucks

Jeff Moffett
02-21-2007, 5:24 PM
I just purchased the various components for a vacuum chuck system including a Oneway drum chuck (http://www.oneway.on.ca/vacuum/drum_chucks.htm). The drum chuck instructions (http://www.oneway.on.ca/pdf/drum_chucks.pdf) include a section explaining how to attach the neoprene to the chuck. Right after that step, the following "tip" is listed:

Neoprene is supplied with this product as we believe every product should be useable right out of the box. However, we feel a better method of padding is using polyethylene foam and a spray adhesive. Polyethylene foam is used in all types of product packaging, especially for packaging electronic equipment. It is readily available from most office supplies stores, or check with any local electronics suppliers, or Moving Company (e.g. U-Haul), in the off chance thay have some they could donate to your cause. If you still prefer the Neoprene, we would happily supply it to you.

That makes me think I shouldn't bother with attaching the neoprene. Do you use the neoprene or another method for padding? If another method, what padding and adhesive do you use and where do you get it? Thanks for the input!

Brad Schmid
02-21-2007, 8:24 PM
Jeff,

The original neoprene ones work fine, but are a little expensive to replace. Go ahead and use it since you have it. Then when it wears out, do like they suggest. When you get packages in the mail, look for the thin sheets of closed cell foam and save a few pieces. If I remember right, I think I used a 3M spray adhesive the last time I replaced the seal on mine.

Travis Stinson
02-21-2007, 8:30 PM
Try the peel-n-stick 8"x11" sheets of "foamies" from WalMart, in the crafts section. Cheap and work great!:cool:

Jim Ketron
02-21-2007, 9:45 PM
I will 2nd Travis!;)

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Good tip, Travis...I'll have to force myself to go to WalMart when I need to change out the seals on my drums...oy! Maybe I'll get my brother to buy them for me and send them down. He's working for them stocking shelves as a second job. And that way I avoid the visit to the store! LOL!

Dick Strauss
02-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Jeff,
I would assume any closed-cell foam will work. They make something called "backer rod" (a flexible closed-cell foam) that is normally found in the insulation area of the borgs. It looks like a long snake and is designed to fill large gaps before you caulk. You also might be able to use the blue closed-cell material used in cheap camping pads.

I'm just throwing out ideas here...

Good luck,
Dick

David Lancaster
02-22-2007, 7:18 AM
Hello guys anything will work depending on the size of your pump. If your pump is large enough you don't even need a seal.Some times on a small piece that I want to hold tight against the drum I use a paper towel.
The black foam that comes with the drums works OK but is expensive,is very hard to remove (best done with a gouge) but most important it's hard to adjust the bowl so it runs true, it is to stickey. This is the reason to use the white 1/8" packing foam it's easy to move the bowl on the chuck. This is done with 5-8 inches of vacuum pressure. I use 3M 90 sprap adhesive. Cut the foam large and trim with a skew or a knife while running slow speed.

Mark Cothren
02-22-2007, 9:49 AM
Try the peel-n-stick 8"x11" sheets of "foamies" from WalMart, in the crafts section. Cheap and work great!:cool:

Ditto... work great for me...