PDA

View Full Version : things to do while waiting on mustard

mike fuson
02-21-2007, 5:16 PM
I'll tell ya fellows waiting on this lathe to get here is like marking off days on the calender to Christmas when I was 7.
I scouted around yesturday in the woods looking for some wood to turn. I have about ten acres of about all woods so I have alot of prospects. I found a nice looking beech, an oak that I think lightning struck a while back and a tree that I don't have a clue what it is but I think it is all spalted, thats the one I have the vision for. I'm getting pumped up about it, can't wait to start back turning and maybe gloat a picture or two myself.

Mark Pruitt
02-21-2007, 6:29 PM
clean out plenty of space for mustard's home
download product user manual
read user manual front to back
enter tracking information on shipper's website
get frustrated because their info isn't updated like UPS does
re-read product user manual
decide which option to use for lower shelf
go to BORG and buy material to make desired shelf
check tracking information again
groan
purchase 1.25 x 8 adapter to make scroll chuck mustard-compatible
leap from your chair when you learn that mustard is sitting on dock
arrange for help in unloading and setup
get out there and bring that baby home!:D :D :D

mike fuson
02-21-2007, 8:29 PM
Mark I know you feel my pain. I am trying to take deep breaths ; inhale exhale, but I know when I get that call my breathing will sound like the couples taking those pregnancy classes.

Jim Ketron
02-21-2007, 9:53 PM
Congrats Mike!
Got all your honey do list caught up? You better, for She might not see you for a while:D
Sounds like you have plenty of wood to choose from. I know a lot will disagree with me on this one but I would stay away from the wet oak, or plan on doing a good clean job after turning it!
It will turn anything steel to black rust that will pit your tools super fast:mad:

Rich Souchek
02-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Mike,
There are tons of things to keep you busy till the Mustard Stork arrives, :rolleyes: like:
Cleanning out a place for her.
Running a 220 line to the area, revising the dust collection to pick up sanding dust. Get the chuck adapters. If you are going from a minlathe, do you need any full size bowl gouges or other tools? Now is a good time to buy them and/or make new handles while waiting.
Did I mention sweeping the shop floor? Just for old times, you might get your turning stuff off your table saw and rewax the top. Heck, while it is uncovered, why not use it to prepare at least 134 bowl blanks of all sorts of sizes and shapes? Ok, go ahead and use the bandsaw for cutting blanks, it does give you more room on the table saw for blank storage.
You might consider getting a family photo now, while you are waiting. You have the time, and you will not have that huge shitt eating grin on your face that you will later.
Consider cleaning up the shop, getting rust off old toold, and maybe even sweeping the floor.
You can also sort and inventory your finishing supplies, getting what you need now so you will have it. That goes double for sanding supplies and your power sander.
Well, that was at least an hour and half for you, maybe you ought to just go inside and call it an early night.
:D :D boy the high class problems we have are great.....
Ric S.

Mark Cothren
02-22-2007, 9:53 AM
Better get a haircut, too... b/c you're not gonna leave that lathe's side for a while...

Here's my .02's worth to add... make sure you get the height set where you want/need it before you start in turning... b/c if you wait until aftere you're spinnin' wood you are not gonna want to stop long enough to get it set right... :rolleyes: