PDA

View Full Version : Breadboard Ends

Dave Crabbs
12-07-2003, 3:11 PM
Hi All,
I too am making some cutting boards for Christmas gifts. The cutting boards are made from 6/4 walnut and cherry. I am alternating 1 1/2" wide by 24" long strips of walnut and cherry. There are 10 strips in each cutting board. The overall size of the cutting boards are 15" wide by 24" long. I thought I might put breadboard ends on them the same width as the strips. The only problem I have is that the cutting boards start with a walnut strip and end with a cherry strip. Which wood would you use for the ends? Or, would it look goofy to have a cherry end on one side and a walnut end on the other? :confused: Or, should I just leave the ends off?

Thanks,
Dave

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-07-2003, 3:19 PM
Leave 'em off.

KC

Mike Evertsen
12-07-2003, 4:33 PM
maybe walnut on the sides and walnut bread board and alternate the cherry and walnut in the middle,,,,

Don Abele
12-07-2003, 4:56 PM
Dave, I've made a few breadboards earlier during the summer when everyone was posting pics of them (had to jump on the bandwagon). I didn't put breadboard ends on any of them and can't remember anyone else doing the same. The wood will expand and contract with water contact, why put an end on and risk an expansion accident (even taking the standard breadboard end precautions). Just MHO.

What ever you chose, please be sure and let us see the final product.

Be well,

Doc

Todd Burch
12-07-2003, 5:51 PM
Dave, you are making breadboards and you're not sure whether or not to put breadboard ends on them? Hummmmmm.... :D :D :D

First, those are HUGE cutting boards. Will you put lockable casters on them? (just kidding, obviously).

Make some with cherry ends and others with walnut ends. I would keep the ends the same, whichever wood you chose.

And remember, mineral oil. I would include a small can with the boards if these are gifts. Otherwise, it would be like getting a transistor radio for Christmas without the batteries.

Todd.