PDA

View Full Version : Back Off Pic Police!!!!

TYLER WOOD
02-21-2007, 3:44 PM
As requested!

I was a little rushed on the cedar ebony pen, but for only the second pen, I don't feel too bad with it. The pink pen I actually got done very quick, but still turned out very nie in my own opinion.

Please comment, but be nice as I'm stil begining. That means you John and Andy!

Bill Wyko
02-21-2007, 4:24 PM
Very nice job Tyler. I'm gonna have to read up on pen turning. You've done a beautiful job.:D

mike fuson
02-21-2007, 4:37 PM
super sharp!

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 4:52 PM
Those are very nice looking pens, Tyler. Very unique in coloration, too.

Since you invited comment, I'll throw out to you that it's important to remember how something is going to be used as you work through your "form". Pens have a pretty intimate relationship with the fingers of someone's hand as well as that area between the thumb and the first finger. (The web) So any pens that are intended for use need to take that into consideration as you contour them. Highly stylized contours tend to be less comfortable for use. A good way to evaluate your ideas is to just turn some spindles that are the same size and shape that you intend your finished product to be. Part them off and hold them in your own hand, pretending to write. Have some other people do the same. Then you can make any necessary adjustments before digging into the final project with the expensive wood and pen parts!

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2007, 5:51 PM
Mighty fine looking pens.

John Terefenko
02-21-2007, 6:10 PM
Now that is what we are talking about. EYE CANDY. Hey us turners need our fix. Nicely done. I will have to agree with Jim B. about the confort use of a pen and designing shapes. I am going to learn all about this myself because I put off pen turning but got the bug at a woodworking show this past weekend so I ordered parts and kits and I sit and wait now. Keep the photos coming.

John Hart
02-22-2007, 6:31 AM
Hey...Those are pretty cool Tyler! On the "hand-fit" subject....how do they feel? They look great!:)

TYLER WOOD
02-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Neither of the pens had any problems. I thought both were very comfortable, the weight being distributed very nicely and I personally like a hefty pen. The design work on the pink pen was above any contact with the hand, except when resting it back in the hand. When writing I falt nothing of the design work. I personally like a little figure to my pen either convex or concave to give a little better grip. To me straight just doesnt feel right.

Jonathon Spafford
02-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Beautiful pens.... like the pink stuff! What is it? You did a nice job turning them.

TYLER WOOD
02-22-2007, 3:16 PM
Pink stuff is corian, I think. It was given to me in a box with a bunch of other pen blanks (about 40 total) of wood and what he called corian. So I know what wood is, so I figured the other stuff that wasn't wood was corian.