PDA

View Full Version : My first tool gloat!

Luke McFadden
02-21-2007, 3:01 PM
I just got my Bosch 1617 EVSPK w/ accessory pack. It's beautiful. Unfortunately, the bit kit I ordered isn't in yet, so no testing it out just yet.

I was a little disappointed with the manual as it didn't explain much, especially one certain piece, a small plastic "bit". It has a 1/4 shank and just has a circular plastic disk with four small slots in it at 0, 90, 180, 270. (1) Any thoughts on what this is?

I'm also a little confused on how I am to use templates.

What a day! (2) Any recommendations on reading that will help me get acquainted with my router?

I've got several projects just waiting, I've got about 4-5 canoe paddle holder designs I've been waiting to work on.

I also just got my first issue of Shopnotes and Woodsmith too!

L

Kyle Kraft
02-21-2007, 3:03 PM
As other SMC folks will echo, if there are no pictures, you can only claim a "stealth gloat" which is questionable at best.

Luke McFadden
02-21-2007, 3:13 PM
Well then:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/bosch/1617pk.jpg

Ok ok, this isn't actually mine. But I will take a picture soon, I've been meaning to post some pictures of my "shop" as well. More to come later!

Alex Berkovsky
02-21-2007, 3:15 PM
...a small plastic "bit". It has a 1/4 shank and just has a circular plastic disk with four small slots in it at 0, 90, 180, 270. (1) Any thoughts on what this is?The only thing that comes to mind is a centering cone.

That's cheating... you linked to mytoolstore.com ;-)

Dan Forman
02-21-2007, 4:22 PM
Can't help on the plastic part, but "Woodworking With The Router" by Bill Hlyton is a great router book. Make sure you get the newly revised edition and you will be all set.

Dan

Luke McFadden
02-21-2007, 4:35 PM
Thanks for the tip. I didn't think the accessory kit came with a manual, but it actually did, but my son (2.5) borrowed it. The plastic piece I'm refering to is for the edge guide, it makes it a circle guide! Sorry for my ignorance... :)

I'm getting Pat Warner's video on routers in a few weeks, got it on loan through the universities library.

L

Brad Trent
02-21-2007, 5:35 PM
The circular plastic disc with the 4 notches is supposed to be used to convert the edge guide into a circle jig. You will find a hole in the edge guide that the shaft on the plastic disc fits. The idea is that you make a cross at the center of the circle that you want to work with. Then you align the 4 slits in the disc with the marks you made and tape the disc to the material. Put the edge guide over the shaft of the plastic disc and rout your circle. I have one and have never used it. Love the router though.