PDA

View Full Version : Travis Stinson class!

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Just made my reservation! I figured I'd post it so maybe we can get a couple Creekers there. Travis is teaching a 5 day class on hollow forms at the Sycamore Institute July 9th through the 13th and there are only 2 spots left . It would be cool to meet some Creekers in person.:D What should I bring with me tool wise Travis?
http://www.americansycamoreretreat.com/schedule.html

Dick Strauss
02-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Kurt,
Boy would I love to join you and Travis for the week!!! It wouldn't be too far of a drive from Ohio (can you see me trying to justify this in my head?). Too bad I don't have enough spare change around to cover the tuition. Darn, what an opportunity I'll be missing...oh well, maybe next time...

I hope you enjoy the classes and learn tons from the master.

BTW Travis, congrats on the class!!!!

Dick

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Kurt....Now that is a gloat! I wish I was able and could afford to attend!:o

Pete Jordan
02-21-2007, 1:08 PM
I'm in the same boat! I would give anything to learn from Travis. Maybe he should come to Michigan. He can even use my Mustard though I still have a leak in my E-z adapter.

Bill Wyko
02-21-2007, 1:08 PM
I can only wish. I'm only a few thousand miles:eek: away.

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-21-2007, 1:10 PM
Who said I could afford it! LOL! Gotta love Tax return time.I just had to talk my wife out of her half!:D

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2007, 1:11 PM
Wow now that would be awesome. What a gloat.

Mark Cothren
02-21-2007, 1:15 PM
Just make sure he has plenty of coffee and you'll keep him happy...

Nancy Laird
02-21-2007, 2:11 PM
Kurt....Now that is a gloat! I wish I was able and could afford to attend!:o

Me too, me too. Maybe in a couple of years......;)

Nancy

Dario Octaviano
02-21-2007, 2:19 PM
What a gloat...it rivals posting a major lathe purchase gloat if you ask me.

Jeff Moffett
02-21-2007, 2:33 PM
Oh, man! I was just thinking last week how cool it would be to take a class from one of the great turners in this forum. The first two names that came to mind were Travis Stinson and Jim Ketron. Travis, I hope you'll continue to teach, so I'll have other opportunities to sign up!

Frank Kobilsek
02-21-2007, 3:14 PM
Kurt

A week class regardless of the professional instructor is very cool. Enjoy! Travis will be good.

I don't know anything about the Amercian Sycamore Retreat. It's alot closer to home than Crafts Supply or John C. Campbell or others. Is it classroom only or are there lathes/tools for each student, Lecture/demo then practice. Maybe Travis can do the sales pitch on American Sycamore. Thier website really doesn't talk about the facilities.

That week I gotta go make a living but I would be very interested in this location for future classes.

Frank

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 4:55 PM
Anyone that can take the time to attend a class like this one or one closer to your own geography will find that it will change your approach and enjoyment of turning enormously. The good teachers all help you better understand the relationship "you" play in the foursome of turner, tool, lathe and wood, especially relative to comfort, balance and basic techniques. Turning is one of those activities that having a mentor is really good! The three days I spent with David Ellsworth a few years ago marked a significant milestone in my own turning activities.

Kurt, congrats on the spot in Travis' class!! (And take pictures... ;) )

mike fuson
02-21-2007, 5:02 PM
I think you will enjoy yourself Kurt . From what I have seen of Travis's work in the short time I have been here ,he is definetly a pro. Maybe if Jim Ketron ever gives a class at his house I can attend ,he doen't live half way around the world from me.

Paul Andrews
02-21-2007, 7:13 PM
Kurt,

There is only one position left, look forward to seeing you there.

Travis Stinson
02-21-2007, 7:23 PM
Alright Kurt! Aw man, only 2 openings left? I guess I'd better get busy. :eek: :D This is gonna be fun. Bring any tools your familiar with using and whatever hollowing setup you might have. I'll be using a captured rig and will try to have a few on hand for others to use. We'll be turning on Delta 16" Steel bed lathes, if you have anything that will need to be adapted to them. I'd like nothing better than to spend the week with a few Creekers! :D
Check that, only 1 opening left! ;)
Oh yea, like Mark said, as long as we have plenty of coffee, all will be good.

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-22-2007, 8:43 AM
Alright Paul! This is going to be great! Are you driving or flying? If your flying maybe we can arrange it so we can split a rental car from the airport. FYI I'm going by way of US Air and the round trip price was better then I would have thought. Travis. I'll bring my Scorpion and my Clarks Hollowing Rig along with the normal stuff. Gonna be a long 5 months! LOL!:D