PDA

View Full Version : My latest segmented piece

Bill Wyko
02-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Here's a pic of my latest piece. I'm still going to work on the finsh some more. This piece is for my wonderful sister-in-law. Even though she's going to school full time to be a nurse she always makes wonderful dinners every weekend for us and really goes the extra mile. My brother-in-law is my best friend as well and he makes BBQ! He has a Trager BBQ smoker and he makes the best slow cookin west of the Mississippi. So I figure she gets this vessel and he'll be getting a Humidor. Small price to pay for all the good food. The best part....I always get the leftovers.:D This vessel is made of Bocote, Curly Maple, Purple Heart and Chakta Kok. I hope you all like it. You all are very helpful in so many ways, thanks again. I'll add more pics tomorrow after I finsh the finsh.:o

Bob Hallowell
02-21-2007, 1:02 PM
Bill, looks great! they keep getting better.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2007, 1:12 PM
Bill that is a beauty. I just wish I had the patience to do that.

Mark Cothren
02-21-2007, 1:14 PM
Nice work, Bill! And a great report on your in-laws... I'm sure your sis-in-law will LOVE it!

TYLER WOOD
02-21-2007, 3:49 PM
I just waiting for Bill to come out of the closet.

There is no way that is the work of a newby!!! COME CLEAN!! You've really been turning for years secretly, come out!!

Very nice work, my favorite yet, but the turquoise is very close.

Bill Wyko
02-21-2007, 4:22 PM
LMAO.:D Closet turner:eek: I do have years and years of flat work experience plus i used to be a home builder too. I sure do love this turning stuff. I'll be working on a humidor off an on but my next project will be the one through the other. I still havent figured out the patterns on that one though. Thanks everyone for the compliments. It should look even better once i can finsh the finsh.:o

mike fuson
02-21-2007, 4:31 PM
Absolutley beautiful Bill. I wonder how much time was spent on it before it was ready to be put on the lathe. Think of me when your eating those good vittles.

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2007, 4:37 PM
Bill, been away from the forum for a couple of weeks so must have missed a lot of nice stuff. You have sure improved. The vase looks really good - great color choices and I do like the form.

Lookin forward to your next piece!

Mark Pruitt
02-21-2007, 4:43 PM
Bill, your turnings AND your family are all excellent!:)

Nancy Laird
02-21-2007, 4:52 PM
LMAO.:D Closet turner:eek: I do have years and years of flat work experience plus i used to be a home builder too.:o

Somebody else said the f....... word on the turner's forum. Fie on you!! I guess I'm not the only miscreant.

Bill, that is a gorgeous piece and I have to agree with Tyler - that's too good for you to be a newbie---come clean!!

Nancy

Bill Wyko
02-21-2007, 4:53 PM
Thanks again guys (and girls). I'm really itchin for a bigger lathe. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to swing it.:o I'm really looking forward to trying something big.:D This one is 9-3/8 tall, 8 inches wide and about 3/16 thick. I almost turned the bottom off on this one too. If you hold it up to the light you can see light through the maple segments at the bottom.

Jason Hallowell
02-21-2007, 4:54 PM
I got to see this piece in person a couple of hours ago, and I must say that it looks even better than the pictures show. Great job Bill!

Bill Wyko
02-21-2007, 5:21 PM
Absolutley beautiful Bill. I wonder how much time was spent on it before it was ready to be put on the lathe. Think of me when your eating those good vittles. About 8 hours including waiting for the glue to dry. I will say it is time consuming.:(

John Chandler
02-21-2007, 5:31 PM
Very nice work - I plan on trying segmented work at some point.

Bill Wyko
02-21-2007, 5:38 PM
I got to see this piece in person a couple of hours ago, and I must say that it looks even better than the pictures show. Great job Bill!Thanks Jason. I'd like to see that Q-Stick box you're making too. If you like, come by the shop some time.

Bill Wyko
02-21-2007, 5:40 PM
Very nice work - I plan on trying segmented work at some point.Thanks John. I know I'm a newbie but by all means if I can help you in any way please feel free to contact me.:o

Dick Parr
02-21-2007, 7:46 PM
Very nice Bill, some day I hope to have them looking that good. Having just done my first one I know what you went through.

Outstanding job...;)

Bill Wyko
02-21-2007, 7:56 PM
Thanks. It is quite messy and quite time consuming but worth it in the end. Thanks for the tip on the bowl sander extension too.

Pete Jordan
02-21-2007, 8:08 PM
Keep goin Bill!

You better get a Mustard with the way you are goin!

Travis Stinson
02-21-2007, 8:44 PM
Beautiful Bill! I can't wait to see where you're at a year from now. :D

Jim Ketron
02-21-2007, 9:41 PM
Beautiful piece Bill!
Love the form on this one!

Bill Wyko
02-22-2007, 1:30 PM
Thanks Jim, and everyone. I finally finshed with the finsh last night. Heres a pic of it done. The finsh is minwax tung oil then a pass trough the 3 wheel beal then 5 coats of deft clear coat, sanded to 1000 grit then buffed again on the beal.

Brett Baldwin
02-22-2007, 2:07 PM
You're making some amazing stuff on that Mini Bill. Great piece.

Bill Wyko
02-22-2007, 2:33 PM
Keep goin Bill!

You better get a Mustard with the way you are goin!Pete, I hate to sound stupid but...whats a mustard?:confused: