PDA

View Full Version : New Portable Table Saw

Walt Pater
12-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Am looking to replace my runout (portable) table saw. The General 50-185 was recommended, but it weighs 300 pounds. I do extensive installation work. Have tried the Dewalt, and have used the Makita. Any thoughts about the Bosch or the Hitachi? I heard mixed things about the table on the Hitachi, but, as with the Makita, I do like the price.

Von Bickley
12-06-2003, 11:26 PM
Walt,
I have several friends that have used the DeWalt and the Bosch. They are all now in favor of the Bosch.
One of my friends has 3 tablesaws in his shop, a Craftsman contractor saw with a 30" unifence, a Delta 3-phase unisaw, and a Bosch portable.
The Bosch is the most used tablesaw in his shop.

Edit: Welcome to "The Creek"

Todd Burch
12-06-2003, 11:41 PM
What are you using the portable saw for? Sheet goods? Floor planking? Trim?

Edit: I saw in your profile that you are a trim carpenter, so you are probably using it for a little of everything. Have you considered the Festool circular saw system?

Todd.

Walt Pater
12-07-2003, 3:48 AM
What are you using the portable saw for? Sheet goods? Floor planking? Trim?

Edit: I saw in your profile that you are a trim carpenter, so you are probably using it for a little of everything. Have you considered the Festool circular saw system?

Todd.

Todd- Just visited the Festool website. Lotsa goodies (I like the planing system w/ mini-bench).
You're right about my uses- I'm all over the board (no pun intended) with the stock I work with. Let's leave it, loosely, with "trim."
I have a Bosch chop saw and their barrel-grip jigsaw, and like both of them enough, I guess. I've heard good things about the Bosch TS. Why don't they let you test-drive these things?

Steve Rayboy
12-07-2003, 5:32 AM
Walt,
I've used the Bosch, and I really like it. It's a good size for all your jobsite needs, and it's very light.

Todd Burch
12-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Walt wrote:
"Why don't they let you test-drive these things?"

Walt, that's the good news - they DO let you test drive the tools! Festool offers a 30-day money back guarantee. Call Bob Marino. Call today. (Ok, call him Monday!)

Todd.

Jim Becker
12-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Todd- Just visited the Festool website. ...~snip~... Why don't they let you test-drive these things?

Give Bob Marino a holler...he may be able to tell you where you can see the festool system up close and personal.

Mike Laing
12-07-2003, 6:38 PM
Walt,

I have the rigid ts 2400 as a second saw in my shop and I really like it. It has one of the nicest fences available for portable saws and it came from HD with a rolling stand. I did see the bosch saw at Canadian Tire and it also looked like a very nice machine. Rouseau makes a really cool stand for the bosch and I would be tempted by that if I was buying again.

Mike