PDA

View Full Version : Boice-Crane Planer

Evan Authier
02-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi there,

I'm looking at buying a Boice Crane planer. At the moment I don't have a model#, year or anything, but a quick search on google didn't show too many different types. I could only find 12" so I'm assuming this is too. The seller says that it is in excellent condition.

Can anyone give me their opinions of Boice Crane planers in general? What years did they produce these? How heavy are we looking at here? What should I expect to pay?

Also if you could give me some ideas as to what to look for when I go check it out.

always appreciate the apparently infinite wisdom of SMC.:)

Thanks a lot,
Evan

glenn bradley
02-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Cruise OWWM. They have a ton of stuff on big arn.

Bill Simmeth
02-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Nice little planer. As far as I know B-C only made the Model 1000 -- the 12" planer -- so that's probably what's being offered. Boice-Crane made nice machines, but on the lightweight-side (by old standards). Their products were aimed primarily at home and school shops. Parts of course are no longer available, so you should carefully inspect castings and gear mechanisms before spending any significant cash.

Good Luck!

Rick Lizek
02-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Great machine. Very heavy duty for a 12". I used to own one. It was a direct drive. Much heavier than the PM 12". Used to own one of them as well. Sold the PM as the BC was a much better machine. The BC is better than a Parks. I would not call the BC a light duty machine at all. The other BC stuff is lighter duty. I sold mine for $2,000 but you couldn't get that now a days. I thought there was a source for parts listed in OWWM but there's not a lot to go wrong with it. I repair machines and there's not much that can't be modified or fabbed. I find some of the imports like Griggio take longer to get parts so I just wing it and make it work.

Bill Simmeth
02-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I thought there was a source for parts listed in OWWM
That source has dried up.