PDA

View Full Version : Ebay - A4dableww.com

Allan Wright
02-21-2007, 10:12 AM
My business is model airplanes, I currently have my product cut by a friend in the business on a Universal laser. I pay him by the piece, and design and prototyping is difficult because I have to drive 3 hours to use the laser, and it is only available to me select weeknights when he's not using it for it's primary purpose.

I'm considering getting a used entry-level machine, as my budget is in the $6,00-$7,000 range at the moment and I need at least 18"x12" and 30+ watts (optimaly 24"x12" and 40+ watts). I've read the horror stories about the Chinese lasers, but I see that one company, a4dableww.com seems to be selling them on Ebay and from the contacts I have made with people who have bought from him there (or apear to have bought, you never know if there are some shill buys there to make it all look legit) seem to be happy and he has seemed to resolve problems.

I don't need to engrave, just cut mostly. My question is, has anyone here bought from a4dableww.com and what was their experience? Right now I'm still beating the used market looking for that rare $6k-$7k machine, but until then I thought I'd investigate this option.

Joe Pelonio
02-21-2007, 11:03 AM
A few things to consider. While the replacement tubes are only a few hundred, I see that the warranty on them is only 3 months.

Also, they are glass tubes, those are considered to be "old" technology, less reliable and inconsistent power output from what I've heard.

Their website is written in such a manner that it appears to be a Chinese import made to look like it's not.

They have a forum link on the bottom of the first page, you might check it and see what kinds of comments their users are making.

If you do go for it, be sure to let us know how it works out, those prices are way low.

Allan Wright
02-21-2007, 11:11 AM
The forum is sparse. The laser is definitely Chinese, with USA sales/service. I want to hear from someone else who's use the 'service' part before I consider it. I'm not up to being a $4,000 guinnea pig.

I'm 100% cutting, so the variability in power of a glass tube CO2 laser doesn't really cause me any concern. The lifespan while shorter also comes with a lower replacement cost. I'm mostly concerned about getting a non-working or soon-to-be non-working engraver with no recourse.

Right now I'm still waiting on that ever-elusive used laser in my price range.

Mike Hood
02-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Too bad I had not met you a few moths back. I do a great deal of model work as well, and had a friend that passed away and left a Universal 30W laser behind in his estate. I didn't need it, but it sold for $2500 and worked wonderfully.

30W would probably be fine for most laser work as my 40W is perfect up to 1/4" birch. It does a great job with everything at 1/8"

What are you modeling specifically?

Allan Wright
02-21-2007, 1:23 PM
Ouch - that was a steal. I'm very sorry I wasn't here 2 months ago. I hope whomever purchased it knows what an incredible deal they got.

I do mostly 1/16 and 3/32 balsa with a little 1/8 lite ply.

I make scale WWI accessories (guns, etc.) and Discus Launch Gliders.

I had a link to my site in my signature but my whole signature got nuked because evidentaly that's some kind of a no-no.

Photos below are of my 2 most popular products, a 50" Discus-Launch glider, and Scale Spandau guns for electric models (I make them in 1/8, 1/10 and 1/12 scale). The spandaus are mixed media, plastic tubing and laser-cut balsa and card stock.

Ken Salisbury
02-21-2007, 1:30 PM
I had a link to my site in my signature but my whole signature got nuked because evidentaly that's some kind of a no-no.

I sent you a PM regarding your signature line.