PDA

View Full Version : cutting boards

Paul Downes
12-06-2003, 7:05 PM
Thinking of whipping out some cutting boards for Christmas and was wondering about grain orientation. I understand that end grain is harder, making for a longer wearing board. (Hey, I could make a chess set, and if I'm losing I can use the butcher knife on the offending piece!) Also, what glue should I use?

Paul Kunkel
12-06-2003, 7:34 PM
Thinking of whipping out some cutting boards for Christmas and was wondering about grain orientation. I understand that end grain is harder, making for a longer wearing board. (Hey, I could make a chess set, and if I'm losing I can use the butcher knife on the offending piece!) Also, what glue should I use?
I use edge grain and tightbond 2. By the time they wear that out, they'll be wanting a new kitchen anyway.

Mark Mandell
12-06-2003, 7:37 PM
Paul,

I've done a number of boards (great use for shorts and scrap!) that were glue-ups. I use polyurethane glue on the boards and glue up with the end grain as the cutting surfaces and the construct between 2 and 3 inches thick to discourage warping. I use maple, cherry, and walnut, often together, in patterns. After the glue sets, I run the piece through the drum sander which is great for this since it's more than a bit hard to put these things in a planer and expect them (or the planer) to survive.

Most often I have done them as flat cut/chop boards, although I have routed a couple with channels and cups for use as carving boards.

Finish is either several coats of walnut oil or a mix of hot mineral oil and parafin.

Have fun!

Mark Mandell

Wolf Kiessling
12-06-2003, 7:54 PM
I use edge grain and tightbond 2. By the time they wear that out, they'll be wanting a new kitchen anyway.

My inclination would be to go with polyurethane glue for the simple reason that moisture cures it. Cutting boards are subjected to a lot of moisture.

Wolf

EliotMason
12-07-2003, 1:28 AM
I use end grain too - its a lot more work, but you end up with a substantial surface that lasts forever. Theoretically your knives also stay sharper on end grain, as the fibers open up slightly to accomodate the knife. That's a theory I've heard anyway.

I'll vote against the pack - I've used plain old Elmer's glue-all on the theory that it allows more flex and should you eat any of it its harmless. It's been fine and the board I made my wife gets used and wiped down at least once a day. I suppose if you dunk your cutting boards in the sink or let them sit in counter water this glue might not be the best.

The drum sander - that's why I need one! I used the planer out of necessity. Insert one end of the board, turn off the planer when its about halfway through, pull out and reverse. Else you get the worst ripping on the last boards.

Have fun!

Mark Mandell
12-07-2003, 7:42 AM
"The drum sander - that's why I need one!"

Elliot,

Here's the perfect excuse!

"Sweetie, you know how you've been pushing me to clean up the shop. Well, I've just discovered gold in the scrap pile! See, I'll be converting all those little pieces of wood into cutting boards to sell at the church craft shows in the Spring. But I'll need one of those drum sander things to get them surfaced right without hours and hours of work. With the money from the boards, it'll have paid for itself by July, and the shop will be cleaner and much less cluttered." :D :D :D :D