PDA

View Full Version : 8" jointer quandary

Matt Day
02-21-2007, 9:12 AM
I've currently got a 6" Delta X5 jointer and am ready to upgrade.

I've got a line on a 1972 Rockwell 37-315 8" jointer w/ 66" bed and base cabinet, which is selling for $600. I actually bought a tool from this gentleman before and trust that it works fine. The only thing that I can see wrong with it is that there is a chip in the outfeed table (see picture) from the PO. It's also got a 2HP motor and comes with an extra set of blades.

Now, I can get a brand new York, Sunhill, or Shop Fox for under $800 delivered, which all come with warranties and that new car smell.

What would you do?

Bill VanderLaan
02-21-2007, 9:22 AM
Assuming that the older tool is in fine working condition, it would come down to if the warranty is worth $200. I am in the same quandry with a BS. I opted to spend the extra $150 and get one that is brand spankin' new.

How does one get a Yorkcraft or Shop Fox for $600? Who are you going through? Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Good Luck-

BVL

Matt Day
02-21-2007, 9:32 AM
The Yorkcraft is $600 direct from Wilke Machinery, with $130 flat shipping charge. I've found the Shop Fox for $700 from a couple places online, with different shipping prices (usually $70-$130).

Dan McGuire
02-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Matt,

I am in almost the same position, the difference is I don't have a line on used jointer at the time. I have been searching Craigslist, classifieds ect... looking for a jointer to buy. I am not opposed to used, but for the price of a used delta, jet or powermatic, I could get a new Yorkcraft, Sunhill or shopfox. I have told myself that I could settle for a 6", but I keep going back to the 8" by the aforementioned manufacturers. I am interested to hear what others think.

Rick de Roque
02-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Matt,
For the $200 diff I would buy new. At 35 years old the bearings may need replacing soon or some other small repair and there goes your savings. Plus you get a longer bed on the new ones.

Dan,
Get the 8" (if you can afford it) because if you get the 6" you will upgrade someday (I promise) and will be cheaper in the long run to get the 8" now.

Rick (who bought a 6" then upgraded to the 8")

Wilbur Pan
02-21-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm going to make a bit of a contrarian suggestion. I bought a Rikon 25-010 European style combination jointer/planer. This seems to be a clone of the old Inca jointer/planers. These machines have a 10" width capacity. You won't need a separate planer with this machine, as it's built in. For $650 including delivery, plus being a compact size, it seemed like a good deal to me.

These type of machines aren't common in the US, but in Europe it seems that everyone and their sibling makes one of these machines. Even Dewalt has a model, sold only in Europe.

Common criticisms of these machines are that [1] they are too lightweight, [2] the bed is too short, and [3] the bed is made of aluminum. However, I have mine on a mobile base, and I've (mistakenly) jointed stock with the mobile base in the "mobile" position without the machine moving on me. So far, I've been able to joint wood up to 6' in length, and with an outfeed stand of some sort, I bet I could extend this capacity, although I haven't tried this yet. Using the "double the infeed+outfeed" rule, you would be "limited" to boards that are about 80" in length. That's 6' 8". I don't know how many projects require a board that long other than floor to ceiling bookcases. And even so, with some auxilliary support you could joint a longer board. My neighbor has an old Inca 10" jointer/planer, and he was able to build a nearly floor to ceiling Federal-style corner cabinet with it. Apparently Rikon is coming out with a newer model with cast iron beds, but the aluminum table hasn't bothered me at all, and it looks like you'll have to wait until the fall at least for them to become available.

For me, the ability to joint wide stock is more important than the ability to joint long stock. This may not be the right machine for someone who is routinely jointing 10' boards.

They aren't listed on Rikon's site currently, but they are listed at toolcenter.com (http://www.toolcenter.com/rikon/25-010-Rikon_planer_jointer.htm). I special ordered mine through a local Woodcraft store.

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Matt, given that the fellow wants only $200 less than you can buy new and that outfeed table damage, I'd buy new. The delta just isn't enough, pardon the expression, to compel a buy on the used tool. IMHO, of course.

Jim Thiel
02-21-2007, 4:43 PM
Is that 600.00 an already negotiated price? Jim makes a good point, one that may not be lost on your gentleman friend. You bought from him before, so he knows you. Show him the Yorkcraft and offer him 400.

Jim

John Hain
02-21-2007, 4:52 PM
Is this a jointer with parallelogram beds? I'm guessing not.

A similar new jointer with good consumer ratings is the Griz 8" original. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0586

More folks have flocked to the parallelogram 8" griz with a fantastic customer rating (including here on the SMC). This one includes an 12" longer table.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490

Why buy used if you can find a warranty and a (rated) better jointer at $100-200 more?

Jake Helmboldt
02-21-2007, 5:36 PM
Matt, you can buy the Shop Fox from Rocking R Hardware in Harrisonburg for $800+tax, and if you have any problems you have a dealer to address your problems. I just bought the 1741 from them and I think it is a great deal. They said they sometimes have spring sales too, so check with them and if you can wait a few weeks you might find it there on sale.

One additional consideration on the used Delta is whether there is any sag/wear in the dovetailed ways which require shimming. One advantage to the 1741 is that it is a parallelogram design, easing (supposedly) leveling of the beds if they ever need it. Mine was virtually dead-on, requiring only a slight raising (1/32") of the outfeed table.

That chip in the table could be a pain. Depending upon your stock it could catch the wood and keep it from moving smoothly across the tables. Also, the SF has a 4-blade cutterhead and a 3HP motor.

Jake

Bruce Benjamin
02-21-2007, 7:11 PM
8.9 Amps and 2HP? That doesn't sound right to me. Rikon's 18" bandsaw lists 12.5 Amps and 2HP. I wonder how much grunt that thing would have when actually trying to plane or joint some tough wood at 10" wide. Also, only a two blade cutter head. The resulting cuts might not be as smooth as a 3 or 4 blade cutterhead and the blades will wear out faster. Cool idea but I'm not sure about going for a machine with those specs. Just my opinion, of course.

Bruce

I'm going to make a bit of a contrarian suggestion. I bought a Rikon 25-010 European style combination jointer/planer. This seems to be a clone of the old Inca jointer/planers. These machines have a 10" width capacity. You won't need a separate planer with this machine, as it's built in. For $650 including delivery, plus being a compact size, it seemed like a good deal to me.

They aren't listed on Rikon's site currently, but they are listed at toolcenter.com (http://www.toolcenter.com/rikon/25-010-Rikon_planer_jointer.htm). I special ordered mine through a local Woodcraft store.

Matt Day
02-21-2007, 8:27 PM
The gentleman is firm on $600 for the used Rockwell and is no rush to sell it. That being said, I think I'm going to go for a new one.

Jake, the SF is on my list but it is really $856 after tax from Harrisonburg. I can get the Yorkcraft shipped to the shipping department right here in town for $730 total.

Cost aside, is the Shop Fox W1741 a better machine than the Yorkcraft YC-8J? I was using the FWW article as a guide, but they didn't review the Shop Fox.

Paul Wingert
02-21-2007, 8:49 PM
The gentleman is firm on $600 for the used Rockwell and is no rush to sell it. That being said, I think I'm going to go for a new one.

I think you made the right choice. To me, it's worth an extra $200 for about 34 years younger..
I'm sure the guy took good care of the 1972 jointer, but nothing lasts forever.

CPeter James
02-21-2007, 9:26 PM
The Shop Fox would be one to look at, for sure. Remember, the most expensive tool is the one you bought and did not like and had to replace.

CPeter

Jake Helmboldt
02-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Matt, my out-the-door price at Rocking R was $838.95 (with a free tape measure thrown in:cool: ), so a little cheaper than what you quoted. Again, check to see when their spring tent sale is; I forget when he said, but I think April, so if you can wait a month or two you might score a better price.

But to answer the question comparing to the Yorkcraft, hard to say. The York is the traditional design with dovetailed ways, whereas the SF has parallelogram adjustments. In theory that is much better for ease of adjustment since there are leveling bolts and no shims are needed. But I hope to never need to take advantage of that feature. They both have built-in mobile bases. The York has a nice rack & pinion fence adjustment, but on a jointer I don't think that is much of a bonus; certainly not the deciding feature in my book. The SF has 3HP, vs. 2HP for the York. They are both white. Do you prefer crisp white, or off-white? I don't recall if the York has a 3 or 4 blade head. The SF is a 4-blade and the cut is smooooooooth.

I don't know where you stand on geo-political issues, but the SF is made in China. I don't know if the York is Chinese or Taiwanese, or if that even matters to you. I don't like it, but it is a reality that is becoming more so everyday.

For the sake of comparison you might want to see if you can find a review of the Grizzly 0490 since it is the exact same machine. For that matter, it is virtually the same as the Delta DJ20 and the Steel City 8", but the SF actually has upgrades over those two, most notably more HP and a 4-blade cutterhead and a magnetic switch. The bonus for the Steel City and Delta is 5-yr warranty vs. 2 for the SF. But they are both twice as much.

I was very close to buying the Yorkcraft, but I decided for the extra features and the ability to deal with a dealer that was somewhat close (2 hrs), I was willing to pay the extra $100. I've not used it much, but I really like it so far and can't wait to start putting some board feet across it. I don't think you'll go wrong with either one honestly, and Wilke usually gets very good comments regarding customer service. There have been a few write-ups on the Grizz 490/SF 1741 and the York here so you might want to do a quick search.

Fish or cut bait man!;)

Jeffrey Schronce
02-21-2007, 11:09 PM
I paid $650 for my Shop Fox W1741 when it first hit the market. I had to wait 3 weeks for it to come in on their normal delivery truck. If I wanted it quicker I had to pay shipping. I picked the machine up at the "store" for $650 (no including tax). The reason I say "store" is that this authorized Shop Fox dealer is an Amish guy in Lancaster Co, PA operating out of a barn. The store has power, but nothing else. The company is called Conestoga Woodworking or something like that. Shop Fox provided the name and phone number when I called for local dealers.

Matt Day
02-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all your input, I just ordered a Shop Fox W1741! :cool: I'll have to drive over the next town to get it, but it should be here early next week. I got it for $700 shipped, but it was the last one and I think there is a price increase coming the first of March.

glenn bradley
02-22-2007, 1:10 PM
The SF won over the York in a couple bake-offs but both reviews loved the Yorkie rack and pinnion fence system.

Jake Helmboldt
02-22-2007, 4:40 PM
Thanks for all your input, I just ordered a Shop Fox W1741! :cool: I'll have to drive over the next town to get it, but it should be here early next week. I got it for $700 shipped, but it was the last one and I think there is a price increase coming the first of March.

I'm jealous! Who did you get it from? When I contacted Shop Fox for dealers they only listed Rocking R Hardware in Harrisonburg for the whole state.

I think you'll like it.

JH

John Hulett
02-22-2007, 6:40 PM
...authorized Shop Fox dealer is an Amish guy in Lancaster Co, PA operating out of a barn. The store has power, but nothing else.

Am I the only one that finds this amusing?:o The word "sellout" comes to mind:p .

- John

Stan Welborn
02-22-2007, 6:45 PM
Am I the only one that finds this amusing?:o The word "sellout" comes to mind:p .

- Johnhttp://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/lolabove.gif