PDA

View Full Version : Any problems burning MDF in wood stove?

Dan Forman
02-21-2007, 8:08 AM
I have been saving some wood scraps for my brother to burn in his wood stove, have some MDF and particle board melamine too. Would present any problems if mixed in with the regualr wood? Thanks.

Dan

Al Willits
02-21-2007, 8:21 AM
I can't tell ya techinally if its good or not, seemed to work during 10-12 years we burned wood in the house woodstove, does burn a bit hot though, and I can't emagine the flumes from the glue are all that good for ya though.

Al

Rob Russell
02-21-2007, 8:41 AM
I generally don't burn all that glue based stuff in our wood stove. I especially wouldn't want to burn melamine that has the laminate surface on it.

Steve Clardy
02-21-2007, 11:29 AM
In my shop stove, yes.
A little at a time, mixed with oak and such

Lars Thomas
02-21-2007, 2:10 PM
Here's the MDS for MDF. . .

http://www.temple.com/images/i_general/pdf/msds/mdf_msds.pdf

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 4:59 PM
I do not put any MDF or plywood scraps in my stove. Solid wood, only.

John Hain
02-21-2007, 5:19 PM
I agree with Jim. The glues involved, along the any organic compounds (like Formaldehyde) would prevent me from burning MDF.

In fact, if you look at the MDS sheet supplied by Lars, there's special specs for MDF and Formaldehyde on a couple levels.

Hazardous Decomposition Products - Thermal and/or thermal-oxidative decomposition can product irritating and
potentially toxic fumes and gases, including carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons,
aldehydes and organic acids.

I think the most important part of the MDS is that animal testing has produced nasal cancer at 14ppm. Now that's alot of MDS exhaustion, and I don't know if it was the result of a thermal-oxidative (burning) ....but will you be to a human subject as lesser values. Is your family?

Why even take the chance?

john mclane
02-21-2007, 8:57 PM
I agree with the general comments. Even with a well ventilated and hot stove the formaldehyde concentration might be high enough to get some exposure, and the repetitive exposure is the problematic area in regards to being a carcinogen; especially if it is inhaled from the fire.

For that matter I would not burn old pieces of painted wood in the stove for the same reason with lead.

Tim Morton
02-22-2007, 8:57 PM
I would have to vote no as well....I burn my MDF/plywood scraps outside in the firepit.