PDA

View Full Version : ususal lever cap

Al Mock MD
02-21-2007, 7:52 AM
Hello all, I'm a stanley plane collector & recently Ebay'd an extra #5 for parts. It has a most unusual lever cap that I've never seen. It is very rough cast with visible coarse tooling by the pin. The surface above contact with the chip breaker/mouth is polished smooth with a simple asymmetric horizontal scroll. I apologize for not having a place to link the picture. Any ideas? Thanks, al

Ken Werner
02-21-2007, 10:06 AM
A picture would sure help...

Al Mock MD
02-21-2007, 10:22 AM
If this works, you'll be seeing a bastardized no 4 wearing the aforementioned lever cap. Thanks, Al
http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/12737186@N00/397698108/

Al Mock MD
02-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Sorry, I'm better with a hammer.

Ryan Cathey
02-22-2007, 7:59 PM
Nobody said anything about it so I guess I will. I looked at the picture but can't enlarge it. If I were to guess though, I'd say the coarse tooling marks are just that; something happened and the owner filed it to a more smooth state. As for the design the person probably just thought it looked cool so he put it on there.

-Ryan C.

Clint Jones
02-22-2007, 8:30 PM
Al I cant see the picture but most likely (almost positive) it is a replacement lever cap from a transitional (woody) plane. Transitional planes usually have a coarse top and a smooth bottom part with a scroll type design. You can post a better picture but as I said I am pretty sure it is a transitional cap.

Al Mock MD
02-26-2007, 6:24 AM
Thanks Clint! I hadn't considered that possibility but now that you raise it, I'm almost certain you're right. I don't collect transitionals (yet:rolleyes: ) but I seem to recall many of them having a crosshatched lever cap. I heard mention of the "pic police" and as a newby, I was hesitant to push the posted image constraints. Thanks for your help & the encyclopedia of knowledge you share here, Al

Steve Evans
02-26-2007, 9:49 AM
Al

Just so you know, the so-called "pic police" are the ones who will abuse you (all in good fun or course) if you post a gloat without visual documentation.

Steve