PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic sign bases

Dave West
02-20-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm routing a sign in some 1/2 inch cell cast acrylic. I'd like to display it in an edge lighted base. For those of you that have done this already, did you purchase or build the base? Soldering a few leds with resistors and a power supply is not a problem, but finding something to house it all is. Maybe some aluminum channel?

Thanks,
Dave

Keith Outten
02-21-2007, 1:22 AM
Dave,

I'm working on one now. I purchased a 12" long LED light from Lowes, I am designing a Corian base to house the light bar. The LED light bar I have doesn't require any soldering, just mount it in the base and plug it in. It doesn't produce any heat and is barely warm to the touch so a closed base shouldn't be a problem.

Ray McAlister
02-21-2007, 9:00 AM
I asked the same question a week ago and Tony Lenkic gave this answer, I haven't tried them yet.

"This may be site you should check out.
http://www.vytekdirect.com/ct_CGlighting.htm (http://www.vytekdirect.com/ct_CGlighting.htm)

Also you can go to this forum section and click
"Engraving and CNC links to suppliers" and scroll down to
link to "LaserSketch"."

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Ray

Jim Good
02-21-2007, 9:25 AM
Vytek uses an aluminum channel. It's not really cheap so if you are wanting to resell, it really isn't cost-effective.

I'm looking into an inexpensive lighted base, myself. I would be interested in learning more as to how people are handling this.

I've got to believe China has an answer!

Jim

Dave Jones
02-21-2007, 2:10 PM
I don't know the prices, but here's a place that sells lighted wooden bases:

http://www.precisionlaserart.com./index.php?page=bases

Jim Good
02-21-2007, 4:57 PM
A lighted base for a 4" acrylic is $33.00. That price would make it hard to resell, too. I need cheap, cheap, cheap!!!:D

It is a really nice base, though!

Jim

Dave Jones
02-21-2007, 5:28 PM
That was their dealer price? I have seen what I'm fairly sure were those same products sold through a retailer for $30-$35. And the retailer obviously was making a profit.

Dave West
02-21-2007, 8:13 PM
Dave,

I'm working on one now. I purchased a 12" long LED light from Lowes, I am designing a Corian base to house the light bar. The LED light bar I have doesn't require any soldering, just mount it in the base and plug it in. It doesn't produce any heat and is barely warm to the touch so a closed base shouldn't be a problem.

Can it be cut down to make it shorter? Do you have a price.

I went to Radio Shack today for some super bright LEDs. I should have something together by the weekend.
Thanks,

Dave

Doug Bergstrom
02-22-2007, 1:06 PM
These are very easy to make with your laser. Take a piece of black (or any other acrylic) and cut out a box using the laser. For the top cut an opening the exact thickness of the material you are using. Glue the acryling together using Weld On. I usually place a small nub on the backside of the top so it cannot slide around but is removable. Place your led in the bottom right on the edge of the acrylic so the acrylic sits on the LED's. We use LED's from US LED but most LED manufacturers LED's will work fine. They can be powered with batteries or transformer.

Dave West
02-22-2007, 3:27 PM
No laser yet. Soon though...

I built a DIY CNC router and carved out the logo. I routed a slot in some oak and wired 3 jumbo leds. Runs of a 12v transformer.

Keith Outten
02-22-2007, 7:52 PM
Dave,

The LED light bar from Lowes was $15.00 on sale for $8.00. I wish they had some 4" or 6" models. These are fabricated light bars or sticks so they can't be cut down or modified. They are 110 volt and really nice, basically a round light fixture that is just under an inch in diameter.

Portfolio LED Light Source Accent Strip

By the way nice job on the aligator logo.

Rick Maitland
02-22-2007, 8:53 PM
Here is one I put together from scratch. I dont have any pictures of it but maybe someone can build it and post a pic. I made mine work with 2 9V batteries and a switch.

James Fowler
02-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Keith

Do you have a part number on the light strip you bought. The folks at Lowe's here in Cheyenne thought I was from Mars when I asked them. They did have a 24 inch incandescent model but that is no way going to work. If you still have the part number from the box, they will have the ability to look it up on the computer.

Keith Outten
02-23-2007, 7:20 AM
James,

The Lowes sticker on the box has the following information.

12" Megalife Linkable LED Wand
Item # 35426 N Model # GL9012-WH-I
Bar Code 0755284008135

James Fowler
02-23-2007, 2:59 PM
Thank you. I will go back this evening and talk with someone with a little more seniority with the organization.

V/R

Jamie

Mike Hood
02-23-2007, 4:30 PM
Here's another you might be able to use?

Light Bar - Set of 4 - $16.99 (http://extremeled.com/detail.aspx?ID=105)

Bill Jermyn
02-24-2007, 3:03 PM
I saw these folks at the Vegas show. I couldn't find any info on their website, however. The bases I saw were $11-$13 for 3" and 6" respectively.

G.W. Schleidt, Inc
702-651-9077
http://www.gwsvegas.com

Kevin Hostetler
01-02-2011, 1:16 PM
Try here they are a good price http://decorandafter.com/store/products.php?cat=46&pg=2

Martin Boekers
01-02-2011, 2:20 PM
Here's another you might be able to use?

Light Bar - Set of 4 - $16.99 (http://extremeled.com/detail.aspx?ID=105)

Can you get us a better link?

I hate these "Sponsered Links" that just give you a bunch of listings.

Martin Boekers
01-02-2011, 2:25 PM
I asked the same question a week ago and Tony Lenkic gave this answer, I haven't tried them yet.

"This may be site you should check out.
http://www.vytekdirect.com/ct_CGlighting.htm (http://www.vytekdirect.com/ct_CGlighting.htm)

Also you can go to this forum section and click
"Engraving and CNC links to suppliers" and scroll down to
link to "LaserSketch"."

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Ray

This may be a bad day for finding links for me! This one comes back 404 file not found

Martin Boekers
01-02-2011, 2:30 PM
You think by now it would be easy to find someone that sells just basic LED bars at a reasonable price.

I have a hard time seeing the viability to sell these if the bar alone cost $35+.
My "sweet spot" is items in the $35-$50 retail.

These would definatly be a commercial product as very few will pay $100+ on an item like this for home.
I may be wrong, any thoughts on this?

Marty

Rodne Gold
01-02-2011, 3:28 PM
The prime market for edge lit is commercial , specifically advertising and more specifically the liquor trade - these signs work well in dimly lit places like bars etc. You can try develop a generic range for home or accent lighting , but getting decent sale quantities is an issue. The lack of suitable and inexpensive supports or bases for these is one of the reasons we have bought a top of the range lathe.combo milling machine so we can make our own out of bar and round stock - turn and slot and mill flats etc (plus to make many other systems of mounting flat perspex signage/displays)

Martin Boekers
01-02-2011, 4:03 PM
The prime market for edge lit is commercial , specifically advertising and more specifically the liquor trade - these signs work well in dimly lit places like bars etc. You can try develop a generic range for home or accent lighting , but getting decent sale quantities is an issue. The lack of suitable and inexpensive supports or bases for these is one of the reasons we have bought a top of the range lathe.combo milling machine so we can make our own out of bar and round stock - turn and slot and mill flats etc (plus to make many other systems of mounting flat perspex signage/displays)

Your right on commercial end, the problem there is most bars and resteraunt etc get
signage and displays from their vendors who literally buy thousands and give them to them
so the little guy can't compete at that level. Some places do want an accent custom
piece which could bring in $300-$500 maybe a bit more. The thing is to get in with a
designer or architect firm to get this while in the design stage.

So many basic signs can be had like an "OPEN" neon for under $30 at Sam's Club.

I have seen artists work in the the "lighted area" and sell work for $150-$300, but then
again that brings the wholesale price down to $100 or so.

Again I like the LEDs, but I still feel it a bit of a novelty piece. I figure I could sell 30-40
a year at $75 or less any more and you lose the "impulse buyer" or "home bar guy"

It does make me wonder though why we can buy a nice solid wood plaque from a vendor
for under $5 but when combined with an LED they want $30-$40 for it? They should be
able to produce this for under $15. Just my thoughts on this.

Keith Outten
01-02-2011, 5:17 PM
I saw an interesting video yesterday on YouTube about a company that is making acrylic signs lighted with LED's. The source for the LED's they used is lumenedge.com

I plan to place an order from Lumenedge tomorrow. I'm looking for a product like theirs to make exit signs for commercial buildings.

Martin Boekers
01-02-2011, 5:43 PM
I saw an interesting video yesterday on YouTube about a company that is making acrylic signs lighted with LED's. The source for the LED's they used is lumenedge.com

I plan to place an order from Lumenedge tomorrow. I'm looking for a product like theirs to make exit signs for commercial buildings.

Now we are talking! Looks like a nice product that is adaptable (more important to me than the base)

I too will order some as samples this week and see how it turns out! Thanks for posting Keith they might want to get on board here
as you know people here are looking for this type of product! (maybe a "free stuff donation? hint hint)

Now as far as exit signs, on base here, they need to have a battery back up, do theses have that option available?

I esp. like the custom option.

Marty

Marty

Kenneth Hertzog
01-02-2011, 8:00 PM
Hope everyone had a happy new year

I've posted these before
hope everyone enjoys
the circut boards are made in colorado
LED's and resistors come from Kingbright
they are assembled in my hometown
nothing like keeping the work here at home:eek:
ken

Jeremy Brown
01-02-2011, 8:39 PM
Try here they are a good price http://decorandafter.com/store/products.php?cat=46&pg=2

I use these guys.

Dan Ashlin
01-03-2011, 8:03 AM
I've used lumenedge before. They make a great product, but keep on them about your order, I've never had an order take less than a month to get to me from start to finish. It seems like I wait and wait and wait, then finally call As soon as I call, "oh, it's in the mail" yeeeeah, something tells me you forgot about my order.

Martin Boekers
01-03-2011, 10:53 AM
I've used lumenedge before. They make a great product, but keep on them about your order, I've never had an order take less than a month to get to me from start to finish. It seems like I wait and wait and wait, then finally call As soon as I call, "oh, it's in the mail" yeeeeah, something tells me you forgot about my order.

This last year I have had that issue with a handful of vendors that normally are prompt.

You think with the economy you would get product faster so they get paid faster, I guess
some shops have laid off workers though and can't keep up with a "refreshed" demand.

Dan Ashlin
01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
True, But when you call, it was just a guy on his cell phone, I think its a one man operation. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm a one man operation too, but at some point it gets a little ridiculous. He has apparently given control of his order processing to a bigger company, but i haven't noticed a difference. If it wasn't for the fact that its basically the only place you can get the stuff, I would probably go elsewhere.

This last year I have had that issue with a handful of vendors that normally are prompt.

You think with the economy you would get product faster so they get paid faster, I guess
some shops have laid off workers though and can't keep up with a "refreshed" demand.

William Milligan
01-05-2011, 8:29 AM
I've gotten some leds from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ ... they have strips, bars and other items as well. no stands but you can fabricate a stand or shadow box in which to mount your leds. They ship pretty fast and if you tell them what you are working on can make suggestions as to suitable items.