PDA

View Full Version : Table saw or band saw first?

Luke McFadden
02-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm trying to decide on the next item to get. And I will probably get both at some point, I'd like to know which would be best for me to start with. I've heard that a band saw can do most of the things a table saw can do, and I can think of a few things that I would like a band saw specifically for: paddle making, curved cutting in thicker wood, really thin strips for inlay and complex laminations, etc... I also like the safety aspect of the band saw since I consider myself a novice.

The main things that I want to be able to do with either machine is to basically be able to follow simple plans. Making some small cabinets, a router table, some benches, flower boxes, etc. It seems like the only thing (that I can invision) that the band saw not being able to do is work with larger material, like 4'x8' plywood etc.

So which first? Maybe there is more information I need to give, but I don't know! Either tool that I get will be very entry level at this point. So perhaps that will affect peoples advice. I'm not at the point where I can buy anything right now, but I'd like to start planning accordingly. So, what are everyone's thoughts? Maybe some references to some articles or websites?

Thanks!

L

Cory Newman
02-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Most recommend starting with a table saw - personally I started with a bandsaw for many of the reasons you mention. I made more projects with that bandsaw than I probably have since - of course I had a lot more time back then.

I had a circular saw and straight edge and bandsaw and it got me through many projects.

Brian Kent
02-21-2007, 12:02 AM
I went with table saw first. I find that perfect straight lines are more desirable than curves - for now. I can get smooth, ready to glue cuts with a good fence and blade. When I got some help resawing on a good band saw, I found that we needed a planer to make the wood smooth enough to use. I couldn't afford to buy a band saw and a planer (and a joiner and something for cross-cut beyond the throat depthe of the band saw.)

Now that is advice from someone with just one of your choices. I would love to hear from real woodworkers who have a shop full of good stuff, who can tell you what ends up being most useful.

Ted Baca
02-21-2007, 12:12 AM
From you state you plan to do I would get the bandsaw. I started with a tablesaw (recently upgraded) but I do more cabinet and furniture work. The band saw can do the curves, re-saw and some other functions that can keep you busy. Yes it is safer but can still be dangeraous. As for the 4x8 plywood cutting a good straight edge and circular saw can do it just as well and safer too. Buy a good saw that can be upgraded such as a Jet, Powermatic, Delta, General, etc. Something that if you want a Kreg Fence, Carter Guides, Carter quick release, etc. Some saws, Sears comes to mind won't let you do those upgrades. I would start with a 14" if possible, I have freind that thought he would save and bought a 12" and recently sold it another freind and bought the 14" Now That freind is already talking about getting the 14" as well.

Brian Matthews
02-21-2007, 12:13 AM
Luke,

I started with a bandsaw, mostly due to the safety aspect as you mentioned (I am a novice as well) and my shop area in my basement is very small. The bandsaw was my first stationary tool. I think that if you will be working with mostly solid wood and hand tools and less with sheet goods, you won't be unhappy going the bandsaw route.

When I do have to rip down larger sheets, I do so with my DW628 and a straight edge. A few cuts that way does make me wish for a tablesaw and larger shop tho...

Keep us posted on your decision and new gloat!

Brian

David Wambolt
02-21-2007, 12:34 AM
Get a bandsaw and consider something like the EZ Smart guided system for your sheet work. I recently purchased the EZ Smart and was very pleased the results. I also own a Sawstop cabinet saw, but find that I'll use the EZ Smart for most larger sheet work and the cut quality with the anti-chip inserts is excellent.

Wilbur Pan
02-21-2007, 12:35 AM
I have a bandsaw. With the small size of my shop, and the type of work I'm planning to do, I found that I had to make a choice between table saw and bandsaw, and came down on the bandsaw side.

I think the key is deciding what type of work you are going to do. But remember, you can cut straight on a bandsaw, but you can't cut curves on a tablesaw.

John Bailey
02-21-2007, 3:22 AM
I've chosen to go with a bandsaw. From the projects you've mentioned, it would appear to be the way to go. I also have a radial arm saw, but find myself going to a circular saw and a straight edge more as time goes on. I plan to get the EZ system at some point, and may get rid of the radial arm saw, although I dearly love that little machine. I've no plans to get a table saw. It just takes up too much room.

John

Ken Werner
02-21-2007, 7:17 AM
As others have said, a circular saw and straight edge will allow you the large panel cuts, and a bandsaw will do everything else.

One word of caution - a cheap bandsaw will NOT give you the accuracy and quality of work you need for ripping thin strips. I'm not sure what you consider entry level, but IMO I think you're looking at about $500, or dissappointment.

Ken

scott spencer
02-21-2007, 8:59 AM
It depends largely on the task at hand, but I find the TS makes cleaner cuts and with greater accuracy. The BS can definitely do some things the TS can't, but I'd be lost without my TS.

glenn bradley
02-21-2007, 9:28 AM
IMHO - First of all let's clarify that when you compare a BS to a TS you are talking about a 'real' BS. Not some stamped sheetmetal and plastic thingy. That being said; your TS is basically there for dead-on straight cuts. It can do much, much more. You mention paddles. inlay strips etc. The band saw will of course excel there so if that's what you're doing I say the BS will serve you best now and the TS later. Although some folks sculpt with their TS and some amazing techniques, the BS is more suited to the task.

Zahid Naqvi
02-21-2007, 10:56 AM
In short, the BS is more flexible, the TS more accurate. Chances are you will end up with both at some time. I have a feeling you may have a TS coming your way before summer ;), so I'd say go for the BS first.

Luke McFadden
02-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Maybe I should have been more specific in the beginning that whatever I'm looking at would need to be in the same price range. So say a $200 table saw vs a $200 band saw. But it seems clear from some comments that a $200 band saw might night give me the accurate results that I would be seeking from a band saw. And from the comment that a table saw might be coming my way, I can starting thinking towards which band saw I might like! Which is another thread I suppose. My neighbor has a 12" Craftsman thats 20 years old or so, and in trying to split a flawless 7.5"x3"x9' piece of basswood in half, it has about 1/2 shy of letting the wood through. I don't know how often I will have pieces this large to resaw, but I definately want the ability to do this. Well, now to learn more about band saws!

Thanks everyone!

L

Lee Schierer
02-21-2007, 12:32 PM
My vote would be for a TS first. A BS will not give you true 90 degree cuts that are smooth enough for finish. I've never seen a BS in any price range that will cut as true and smooth as a TS. You are also limited to the throat depth on the BS for cutoffs. How do you cut a 96" board into 36" pieces on a BS and get 90 degree cuts on the ends without wasting several inches of wood on each cut? How do you cut a dado or rabbet on a BS? How do you true up a glue up for a shelf or panel that is wider than the throat depth of the BS? All these things can be easily done on a TS.

I have both in my shop and the BS rarely gets used for cross cuts at 90 degrees.

James Carmichael
02-21-2007, 1:42 PM
How do you cut a 96" board into 36" pieces on a BS ?

The answer is neither band nor table saw, but a circular saw and straightedge.

I wouldn't suggest trying to muscule full-size 4x8 sheet goods over a table saw.

For what Luke is wanting to do, I'd suggest the bandsaw as well.

Jerry Olexa
02-21-2007, 10:35 PM
I'd go TS. To me, its considerably more accurate than a BS when straight cuts are needed. MHO

Lee Schierer
02-22-2007, 3:48 PM
The answer is neither band nor table saw, but a circular saw and straightedge.

I wouldn't suggest trying to muscule full-size 4x8 sheet goods over a table saw.

For what Luke is wanting to do, I'd suggest the bandsaw as well.

I don't use plywood all that frequently, but when I need to cut a piece, my saw table is wide engough and has a long enough outfeed table that cutting sheet goods is pretty simple. I have a support stand that hold the piece level as I feed it into the cut and from there it is more on the table than off and the rest of the cut is a snap. The space behind my blade is nearly 72" so all but 24 of an 8 fott sheet stays on my table.

You get truer smoother cuts with a TS than with a skill saw IMO and you don't run the risk of cutting your saw horses. DAMHIKT.:D

Jim Becker
02-22-2007, 4:54 PM
No disagreement, Lee, but his budget is $200.