PDA

View Full Version : What are you using to turn pens?

RichMagnone
02-20-2007, 10:27 PM
I will be attending the WW Show in Milwaukee this weekend and hopefully, I will be able to upgrade my pen turning tools at the Craftsupplies USA booth. I have been turning with a benjamins best set, but I think the gouge is too small and the skew chisel is an oval shape and I think a flat one would be better. What are you using?

Dario Octaviano
02-20-2007, 10:34 PM
I have been using the ($25.00 then) 8 pc HSS set of HarborFreight for almost 3 years now...works perfectly fine for me.

BTW, it has a flat skew and most that I've talked to swears the oval one is better. I rounded the side edges of mine.

Corey Hallagan
02-20-2007, 10:38 PM
The Benjamins Best are very decent turning tools. If you have the pen sized ones or that's what they call them, I agree, they are just too small for me. Benjamin's Best full sized tools are great, I have a bunch of them and if you ruin one, you can replace fairly easy.

Corey

RichMagnone
02-21-2007, 12:21 AM
most that I've talked to swears the oval one is better. I rounded the side edges of mine.

I agree that a round side edge is worthwhile. The oval shape makes it "tippy" on the tool rest for me. I feel like I would have more control if it were flat.

Dario Octaviano
02-21-2007, 12:24 AM
I use mine in shearing cut mode (vs scraper) so flat is not good for me. Oval (I think) is easier to to use at least the way I use it.

Nancy Laird
02-21-2007, 1:23 AM
I use a 1/2" round-nose scraper, a 1" oval skew chisel, and a 1/4" parting tool on my pens. The 1/2" round-nose is part of an old Atlas set that came with my FIL's lathe in about 1952; the skew chisel is an HSS from Woodworker's Supply, and the parting tool is part of the 5-piece HSS mini set also from Woodworker's. I have the best luck with the scraper, turn down to just proud of the bushings and take the rest down with sanding.

Nancy

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2007, 8:18 AM
My primary pen turning tool is a full sized 3/4" Robert Larson skew.

Jeffrey Fusaro
02-21-2007, 9:28 AM
i used a robert sorby spindle master on the first, and only pen that i've turned.

read about it in "pen turner's workbook - second edition" by barry gross.

seemed to work pretty well.

minimal white knuckle factor.

i use a sorby 3/4" roughing gouge to get things round.

Bobby Perry
02-21-2007, 9:45 AM
I use a 1/2 inch BB bowl gorge. But about the only thing I make is deer horn pens with shell casings. My pictures are really bad I know.

Mike Vickery
02-21-2007, 10:23 AM
I use two tools to turn most pens a 3/4 Sorby roughing gouge to round it then a home made 1/2 inch round skew made from a 1/2 inch drill blank from Enco to finish it to size.

TYLER WOOD
02-21-2007, 10:37 AM
OOOOHHHHH nice pen!!!! Love the antler and brass combo! I also have seen a pen, I think on here, that had someones militry burial salute casings. Made a nice present for the person to commemorate their Grandfather. I hope to do that soon for a friend of mine.

As for tools. I use a home made 3/8" round nose scaper, 1/2" gouge to round, parting tool for straight designs.

RichMagnone
02-21-2007, 1:31 PM
Bobby, your pic isn't bad and the pen is great. What kind of deer antler is that? I made one antler pen for my brother in law and could not stand the smell in the shop for about a week!

Bobby Perry
02-21-2007, 1:35 PM
Bobby, your pic isn't bad and the pen is great. What kind of deer antler is that? I made one antler pen for my brother in law and could not stand the smell in the shop for about a week!It is whitetail deer and I only use old seasoned deer horns. The fresher they are the more they stink. Smell like burned hair.I have a friend that picks up all the sheds off his deer lease for me.