PDA

View Full Version : Ontario, California WoodWorks Show?

Don Bullock
02-20-2007, 8:33 PM
The WoodWorks show in in Ontario, California this weekend. I'm planning on being there Friday and was wondering if anyone else was planning on going to the show. This will be the first time I've ever been to a woodworking show so I'm excited. :D

Dan Oliphant
02-20-2007, 9:03 PM
Don, thought I might drive down Friday also. Been a few years for me. Think I will bring the camara too.

Eric Williams
02-20-2007, 9:42 PM
I would like to go am free saturday. I live in Riverside, does it cost to get in?

Don Bullock
02-20-2007, 10:58 PM
I would like to go am free saturday. I live in Riverside, does it cost to get in?

Here's the information:

SHOW LOCATION:
Ontario Convention Center
2000 Convention Center Way
Ontario, CA 91764
PHONE:909-937-3000

HOURS:
FRIDAY 11 am - 5 pm
SATURDAY 10 am - 5 pm
SUNDAY 10 am - 3 pm

TICKET PRICES:
Online: $8 (SAVE $2)
With Coupon: $9 (SAVE $1)
On Site: $10 * Friday or Saturday, 3 - 6pm only -->

For more information you can go to WoodWorksevents.com

Mark Singer
02-20-2007, 11:03 PM
I might go...altught I am behind on stuff:confused:

Chris Dodge
02-21-2007, 1:09 AM
I was planning on going but my move date changed. I am now moving to Utah this weekend. I went to the show two years ago and enjoyed it a lot. I found a lot of great bargans on tools toward the end of the show too. Hang around and you might find a good deal on whatever your next tool purchase is. Woodworking shows are great!

glenn bradley
02-21-2007, 9:41 AM
I had planned to go but ended up stuck in jury duty. I'll try for Saturday but don't feel confident so I won't add confusion to any plans to meet up. Disappointed.

Mike Henderson
02-21-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm going to try to go on Friday when they open (11am) but may have a conflict and have to go Sat.

Mike

Jeff Weight
02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
I'll be there on Saturday, probably mid day. I'm going to meet a nice gentleman from woodnet who's giving me a Rockler drill press table. :)

Tim Reagan
02-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Hoping to get there sat. at opening.

Mark Carlson
02-21-2007, 1:07 PM
Is there anyway of figuring out who will be there? I went to the web site, woodworksevents.com but couldn't find a list of vendors.

~mark

Don Bullock
02-21-2007, 7:03 PM
Is there anyway of figuring out who will be there? I went to the web site, woodworksevents.com but couldn't find a list of vendors.

~mark

Mark,
They are listed under "links."

Terry Flowers
02-21-2007, 7:05 PM
I am hoping to go Sunday.

To Don, who has never been to one, be aware that for the past two years, the Ontario show was a disappointment compared to the Costa Mesa Show (or may Pomona, or both), which is /are s different promoter. For some reason, the Ontario show just doesn't seem to draw as many vendors. I think the Costa Mesa show has Wood Magazine behind it, which may account for that.

Don't let me discourage you, you will still enjoy the show. I plan to go back myself. I just didn't want you to judge all shows by this particular one, because there are larger, better ones that visit So. Cal. And who knows, maybe it will improve this year.

Terry

Don Bullock
02-21-2007, 8:35 PM
Terry, thanks for the information. I appreciate the "heads up" that this may be smaller than the other shows. It will still suit me just fine for now. I've already decided to purchase a new mortiser and have contacted the Steel City and their local vendor. Both will be at the show, so I can see it demonstrated and if I like what I see they will have some for sale. If I do purchase one that will be all I can afford right now anyway. I signed up for the table saw seminar with Frank Klausz on Friday morning befor the show actually opens. Since I haven't taken any classes on woodworking and really haven't been doing much for over twenty years, I thought this would be a good one to start with. It looks like his seminar will be rather comprehensive and include safety as well as things I can do with a table saw.

Unfortunately I can only make it to the show on Friday. The rest of the weekend I'll be in the San Diego area at some dog shows and a friend's home for dinner Sunday. I guess if there are any "end of show" deals I'll miss them this time.

I know that the promoter for this show is different than for the other shows you mentioned. The website for the WoodWorking Shows for Costa Mesa and Pomona isn't very helpful. There isn't much information posted there. Perhaps as we get closer to the Costa mesa show in May they will post more. Evidently I missed the Pomona show in November asn they haven't yet posted a date for the 2007 show. I will be checking their site for updates. I'm also hoping that someone will post information here when any woodworking events are coming up in the Los Angeles area.

Dan Cameron
02-22-2007, 3:43 PM
Our woodworking club is to have a booth there. (San Fernando Vally Woodworkers). I will be working the booth Saturday morning. Come on by.

Dan Cameron

John Hulett
02-22-2007, 6:16 PM
Don - I would be inclined to agree with Terry. TWS seems to have a better show (for me). They have a better vendor turnout, and seem to have more demo's (both free and paid). TWS does Costa Mesa in the fall, and Pomona in the Spring. IIRC, the Pomona show in May is the "last show of the season," which has ups and downs. The up: machines used for the demos can be picked up at a discount and taken strait home on Sunday. The down: the demonstrator's are a little burned out, as compared the the Costa Mesa show.

I plan to hold out until May... after my B-day:rolleyes: .

- John

Dan Stuewe
02-22-2007, 7:32 PM
I just wanted to say it is great to see all these southern California folks here on the Creek!

The Costa Mesa show is about 3 miles away from me, so I haven't been to the others (went to one in Long Beach several years ago). I wish Grizzly went to these since I've been drooling over my keyboard and would rather see their band saws in person.

Have a blast all of you going to the show. Maybe we'll be able to put together a big 'ol SoCal Creeker get together some day.

Calvin Crutchfield
02-23-2007, 2:42 AM
I haven't heard of the woodworks events...Wish they came to NorCal

Don Bullock
02-23-2007, 8:17 PM
Well, I did go today. I was pleased with what I saw and heard, but it was small. As I walked in I heard one guy say to another," I sure hope there's another room, because this is very small." For those of you who go to these shows often I would say you'll be dissapointed (thanks for the warnings). For me, since it was my first woodworking show and I didn't have a lot of money to spend, it was just right. I was able to get the mortiser and a Kreg kit (see my tool gloat) just happened to follow me home too. There were some beautiful woodworking projects on display. The WoodWorks people have a contest as part of their show. While I thought that a small table in the Green & Green style was by far the best, it'd didn't win the Steel City TS grand prize. The table saw seminar with Frank Klausz was good, but very basic. I did come away with a couple of good ideas, some safety tips and the information he gave on saw blades will be useful in the future. All-in-all it was worth the cost for both siminar and show. I also greatly enjoyed taking a day off work and doing something for me.:D

Dan Lee
02-23-2007, 8:47 PM
Hey Don
Was General Tools from Canada represented. I'm kinda interested in their 10" jointer. How bout Powermatic

Don Bullock
02-23-2007, 9:20 PM
Hey Don
Was General Tools from Canada represented. I'm kinda interested in their 10" jointer. How bout Powermatic

Dan, to be honest, I don't know if General Tools was there. They are on the list of vendors though. I did see a lot of Powermatic equipment, but again I'm not sure if it was all there. At the present time I'm not in the market for any "large" tools (no budget & limited space), so I wasn't as aware of who was there as I should have been. Frankly I was just amazed and awed at all that is now avaialble now. Remember I haven't been involved in woodworking for over twenty years.

Dan Oliphant
02-23-2007, 9:39 PM
General tools were not at the show. Although the show is small, there was still plenty to see, several turning exhibits/how to, chair making, Markratry(sp?) and best of all (in my opinion) Frank Klause was demonstrating his hand tool skills by showing the methods used in making dovetails.
For those that were going to siminars along with the display floor, it can be a full day.

Ted Miller
02-24-2007, 5:51 PM
Terry, You are right, this show was very small compared to the Costa Mesa show, but I found some great deals on Freud router bits today in Ontario, made it well worth the drive...

Jeff Weight
02-25-2007, 1:28 AM
I was there today. It was very unimpressive to say the least. :( Unless I hear they've greatly improved, this will be my last Woodworks show. I'll still attend the show at Costa Mesa. The only thing I walked away with was free can of stain from the General Finish guy. :cool:

Carol Reed
02-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Rant on!

I am sorry to hear you say 'that unless they improve.' Those who go to the shows drive the improvement. Nobody goes, nobody buys. Nobody buys, the vendors don't come. Then you don't come, and the slope gets steeper.

If we want improvement, we have to be part of the solution, not contribute to the problem.

Make it an outing to meet up with other folks, a time to learn some new things, maybe even find a 'deal', or as you did, come home with something free.

Am I biased? You bet! I used to present at those shows, and I can tell you what a boat load of work that is! And ask the club guys who come set up a booth and man it the entire weekend!

Let's encourage folks to come and participate. There is a great time to be had by all. Discouraging remarks keep folks who have never gone from going. And they could maybe benefit the most. Woodworkers are generally the most generous people in the world. Let's apply our generosity to the woodworking shows, no matter who the promotor might be. I can tell you that having two promotors keeps both of them on their toes - which is good for all of us.

Rant off.

Gene Bukovi
02-25-2007, 10:36 AM
I went on friday and saturday. The show is small, but some pretty good deal. Woodline has a coping sled for $24 normally $40. I was looking to buy the 7518 3.25 hp porter cable router. They hD THEM AT THE SHOW FOR $309 -$50 FOR REBATE, but Rockler sent an email out for clearance sale in Pasadena and I bought it there for $219. A great deal. I am still looking to replace my table saw and plan to negotiate with Steel City.

Nancy Laird
02-25-2007, 11:30 AM
I am still looking to replace my table saw and plan to negotiate with Steel City.

Gene, You won't do much "negotiating" with Steel City on a table saw. They aren't allowing their distributors to discount right now, at least openly. Their products are fair-traded, so all the distributors are supposed to sell at the same price. There are some rebates on the saws, ranging from $100 to $250, depending on what you buy, and the rebates are good on things purchased by March 31,:) but that's about all the negotiating you're going to be able to do.:(

Nancy

Jeff Weight
02-25-2007, 1:13 PM
Gene, You won't do much "negotiating" with Steel City on a table saw. They aren't allowing their distributors to discount right now, at least openly. Their products are fair-traded, so all the distributors are supposed to sell at the same price. There are some rebates on the saws, ranging from $100 to $250, depending on what you buy, and the rebates are good on things purchased by March 31,:) but that's about all the negotiating you're going to be able to do.:(

Nancy

The SC rep lied to me. I asked him if the hybrid saws trunnions mounted to the table or cabinet. He said the table. I came home and researched this, and it isn't true.

Then I asked him about a SC cabinet saw vs. a Unisaw. He stated the SC was a superior machine, which is exactly the opposite of what he told me in his show room a few weeks ago. I can't stand being lied to. :mad: Based on this, I probably will avoid purchasing from him unless the deal is to good to pass up. :eek:

Being a salesman, I can't stand the uninformed. If you don't know the answer, tell me you'll have to find out and get back to me, but whatever you do don't lie about it. Secondly don't change your story. If you believe one product is superior, say so. If your not selling that product, don't knock it, instead point out the finer points of the product you are selling.

Ok, I'll relinquish the soap box now. :o