PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical Stairs, (pics).

Richard Wolf
02-20-2007, 8:19 PM
Sorry for the poor quality of pics, got to clean the lens. Anyway, this is my lastest staircase. The curved section at the bottom is an ellipse. It was difficult to design but the builder is very pleased. The rails should also be fun, but they aren't ready for a few weeks.

Richard

Steve Clardy
02-20-2007, 8:23 PM
Looking great Richard.
How much time so far?

Per Swenson
02-20-2007, 8:26 PM
What can I say Richard,

That is just so cool,

Great job.

Per

Frank Snyder
02-20-2007, 8:27 PM
Wow! Richard...that's just plain crazy. It looks amazing. How did you make the outside miter cuts on those elliptical treads for the bullnose edging? I like the curved skirtboard...I thought my outside skirtboard was a pain. I feel bad for the flooring guy...that curved nook is going to be a challenge for him.

I hope Tauton Press gets a hold of this job for the next edition of their stairbuilding book.

Paul B. Cresti
02-20-2007, 8:49 PM
Great work Richard...so when does that router of yours come out and play ;)

glenn bradley
02-20-2007, 9:49 PM
Great work as usual. Love the pics!

Peter Stahl
02-20-2007, 10:15 PM
WOW! You do amazing work Richard.

Corey Hallagan
02-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Yikes, always cool to see your stair work Richard. Nice job!

Corey

Ben Grunow
02-20-2007, 10:24 PM
One of these days, the phone is going to ring...

David Cramer
02-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Slick job Richard! You are obviously a very talented stair builder. I am sure the design was difficult, as you said, and good luck on those rails. I'm sure if you can build those stairs, the rails will be no more than a little head scratching here and there.

Dave

Jim Becker
02-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Well, you certainly don't take the easy jobs! Wow! That's quite a design and construction. I'm in awe...

Roger Everett
02-21-2007, 6:43 AM
Looking good Richard. Lot of head scratching on that one. The rail's going to be tight at the bottom, looking like a solid pc. to go around that curve. Be a good workout for that router set-up you got 2 years ago.
Roger

Glenn Clabo
02-21-2007, 6:57 AM
Just plain excellant work...as always. I've always held stairmakers in the highest regard...and you sir are explaining why I do.

Joe Unni
02-21-2007, 7:10 AM
Very nice Richard!

Chris Barton
02-21-2007, 7:34 AM
Ah, I've been waiting for a post from the "Stair Master" for a while. That's nice Rich! I will be building a house this year that will require some stair work and hope to find an artisan as good as you to do my work.

Alex Berkovsky
02-21-2007, 8:33 AM
Richard,
I know it has been said before, but I will say it again... you're quite a craftsman! Your son is so lucky to learn from you - I sure would be. Those stairs flow so elegantly. Is this the house you're working on in Oyster Bay?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2007, 8:44 AM
Richard...I'll bet those elipses are a challenge! Can't wait to see the followup photos!

Tom Jones III
02-21-2007, 8:50 AM
Thanks for the pics, great job ... I'm glad I didn't have that project!

Rich Torino
02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Rich,
amazing... can't wait to see the finished product..

Peter Pedisich
02-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Richard,

You must be tired mentally and physically after a day of such complex work.
Really like the miters and returns.
Hope the future homeowners don't sleepwalk!

Thanks for sharing,

Pete

Richard Wolf
02-21-2007, 2:36 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, they are always appreciated.
Yes, this is a tailor made job for my handrail router, and is one of those times that it seems like the only easy way to do the rails.
I spent quite a few hours at the drawing table designing these stairs, making sure everything would work. Once I was satisfied with the layout, the stair went pretty quickly.
This is a 25 year old house that a builder is flipping in Glen Cove, NY. A very rich area on Lond Islands north shore.

Thanks,
Richard

Todd Davidson
02-21-2007, 7:46 PM
Hey Richard ~

Spectacular as always my friend.

In peace, Todd

Dennis Peacock
02-21-2007, 8:07 PM
Beautiful work there Richard.!!! Love the look. :D

Mike Heidrick
02-22-2007, 1:06 AM
I have a need for a set of stairs like that in my current house. Wish I could afford your work and you were closer. Great job on those. Any advice for a WW in need of stair knowledge?

pete collins
03-02-2007, 8:51 PM
looks like a fun project. how do you curve your return bullnose and curve the treads ends...wanting to do that to my project but cant figure simple solution. finally got started on it...between what info i was giving here and just thinking about it for a few weeks before i started i think im gonna be able to polish this turd.

Jesse Thornton
03-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Inspired and inspiring work, Richard! Just curious, do you do all your planning on paper, or do you work out some of the complexities with the aid of a computer?

lou sansone
03-03-2007, 4:54 AM
great work on the stairs. we all love seeing the work that you do. It reminds us that once upon a time there were probably teams of guys building some of the great Victorian and federal homes we still see standing. Sadly many of those real craftsman and their techniques have vanished.
Lou

Cody Colston
03-03-2007, 8:36 AM
You are certainly a talent. That is extraordinary, exacting work and you craft it to perfection. Thanks for sharing with us.

scott spencer
03-03-2007, 9:09 AM
"difficult to design" is an understatement! :eek: Gives me a headache just imagining what that must have been like to figure out! Outstanding job...We'll refer to you as "Mr. Wizzard" from now on! :D