PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever work with chakte kok

Bill Wyko
02-20-2007, 7:45 PM
I'm just finshing a vessel with accent rings in chakte kok. Up until a few minutes ago I didn't even know how to pronounce it. It sure is a bright red. I'll post pics in the next day or two. I was wondering where it comes from and any other info I can get on it.

Dario Octaviano
02-20-2007, 7:48 PM
I believe it is also known as Red Heart

Bonnie Campbell
02-20-2007, 8:11 PM
Here is some information on it....

Product Description: Chakte Kok (Red Heart)

(Sickingia salvadorensis)
Color: Color varies from bright red to pink or violet with dark streaks.

The Tree: Small to medium, reaching up to 65 feet in height with a trunk diameter of 15-20".

The Wood: The wood and bark will produce a red dye. This wood is so unique it is difficult to make a comparison. The vivid red color will darken when oil or lacquer finish is applied. Oxidizes to a golden tan if left unfinished.

Typical Uses: Turning, boxes, inlay, trim, and accessories.

Source Region: Central America, Eastern Coast of Mexico

Bill Wyko
02-20-2007, 8:33 PM
Thank you very much. It's very unique and turns like butter.:) It makes a great contrast color. I should be finshing this piece tonight. I hope it keeps its color.

Dario Octaviano
02-20-2007, 8:36 PM
When finished, this is one of the longer lasting red colored woods.

Bill Wyko
02-20-2007, 8:59 PM
Sweet! I can't wait to get off work and go finsh this piece. I had to build it in two parts because it's at the maximum capacity in diameter to turn on my jet mini. This was the only way to get around it with a tool. It's made of Bocote, curly maple, chakte kok and purple heart. I hpoe to finsh tonight.

John Chandler
02-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Here is a link that has a sample of the wood - I don't know how close it looks on screen compared to in person:
http://www.exotichardwoods-southamerica.com/chaktekok.htm

Randy Rhine
02-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Hmmm...my experience is just the oposite. I've found that it turns a yucky (to me) brown fairly quickly. A few years ago, I had a chakte-kote bowl sitting on my desk, where it didn't get any direct sunlight, and it was brown in 3 months. I stick with bloodwood when I want red wood to stay red.

randy

When finished, this is one of the longer lasting red colored woods.

Dario Octaviano
02-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Randy,

Now that you mentioned it...I believe I got the 2 confused :o.

Bloodwood indeed is the one that lasts red longer. Sorry.

Randy Rhine
02-21-2007, 3:27 AM
Yeah...it's too bad it does change. Other than that, it's such a nice turning wood.

rr

Hilel Salomon
02-21-2007, 8:46 AM
Hi,
I got a blank on ebay and turned it into a bowl which my wife liked enough to declare a keeper (most of the other ones go out as gifts). Here is another source for finding out about wood:
http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/woodindex.php
Good Luck, Hilel.

Hilel Salomon
02-21-2007, 8:55 AM
Sorry, I included only one site, but here is another one if you are trying to find out about exotics:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/index.htm
Earlier, I warned folks about Lapacho/Ipe which is known appropriately as the coughing, spitting, sneezing wood, and lived up to its name when I turned a piece. At least the chakte, Mara and a few others didn't have that effect on me.
Hilel.

Ralph Dobbertin
02-21-2007, 9:34 AM
I've used chakte kok as well. It is beautiful but I found it did not keep its colour at all well. Has anyone found a way to make it last?

Gary DeWitt
02-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Stinks. I mean, it has an unusual odor while turning. Dust is hard on the nose. Beautiful seductive red/orange when freshly cut or turned, but the stoppers I turned from them, even though they were finished in several coats of poly, turned brown in a few months.

Bill Wyko
02-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Last night I put some minwax oil on it and clear coated it with deft gloss. I still need to sand and do the final clean up on it but it sure is a nice red when it has a finish on it. Hopefully it'll seal the color in it. BTW thanks for all info for more exotics. I love working with all the different species of wood there are.:D I'm not quite done yet but here's the project. I'll start a new thread when I'm finshed and have better pics.

Dick Strauss
02-21-2007, 1:29 PM
Bill ,
Here is some more info for ya...

http://www.exotichardwoods-southamerica.com/chaktekok.htm

Dick