PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing Tools

Bill Klein
02-20-2007, 3:16 PM
I want to begin to turn small hollow forms. I will eventually tackle larger forms as I gain experience. Question is, do I entertain purchasing mini hollowing tools or go right to the larger sets? Does aquiring a larger set prohibit me from turning some of the smaller stuff? Looking forward to reading from the plethora of knowledge. Thanks, Bill.

Dario Octaviano
02-20-2007, 3:34 PM
I've got minimal experience but you can use big tools on small vessels. Only problem is that they use bigger bars so you will need bigger holes to accomodate them.

Other than that...they cut equally well on small or bigger vessels ;)

Neal Addy
02-20-2007, 4:09 PM
Dario is on the money. Heftier tools will give you much more control. The size of the tool's shaft will limit the size opening you can hollow through but you still need beef.

I have a Sorby midi hollowing tool (swan neck). It is good for light scraping but I would hate to try and do any heavy hollowing with it. There's just not enough tool there to fight the torque.

John Hart
02-20-2007, 5:17 PM
....I have a Sorby midi hollowing tool (swan neck). It is good for light scraping but I would hate to try and do any heavy hollowing with it. There's just not enough tool there to fight the torque.

...And to add to this...I have a Sorby Hollowmaster...It's a swan neck too, and pretty hefty...but the size of the swan neck prohibits me from using it on anything small...or with a small opening. It's really strong though! Why...I can get a catch and blow a vase apart in like maybe 5 or 6 milliseconds!!;) Pretty exicitin'.:)

Andy Hoyt
02-20-2007, 5:26 PM
Buy the bigger stuff and make the smaller stuff.

Mark Pruitt
02-20-2007, 5:30 PM
Buy the bigger stuff and make the smaller stuff.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but what type of stock makes for the most durable homemade hollowing tool, if you want to make a small swan neck?

John Hart
02-20-2007, 5:32 PM
Don't want to hijack this thread, but what type of stock makes for the most durable homemade hollowing tool, if you want to make a small swan neck?

I made Bertha out of Stainless. She holds an edge with the best of them. Big as a horse's leg so I would never be able to bend it.

Mark Pruitt
02-20-2007, 5:37 PM
Do you have a picture by any chance John?

Martin Braun
02-20-2007, 6:47 PM
One can readily make a set of small hollowing tools. Enco sells hss 1/4" diam. round stock, 8" long for $8. One can use that to make a straight tool, and then use another piece chopped & glued to a bent shaft. The bent shaft can be had from hardware stock cold rolled. Then turn some handles, and that's it. Probably less than $30 when all is said & done. Plus they are a lot of FUN to make and FUN to use!

Neal Addy
02-20-2007, 6:55 PM
I have a Sorby Hollowmaster...It's a swan neck too, and pretty hefty...but the size of the swan neck prohibits me from using it on anything small...or with a small opening.
Yep, same here. I use a Multi-Tip which is nothing more than a straight-neck Hollowmaster. I can do openings as small as 1-1/4" but no less. And yep, it will explode a bowl with the best of them.

I just ordered the Don Pencil set (both Scorpion and Stinger). Hopefully these will be a bit more versatile. For one thing, the Stinger shaft is 7/16". Maybe I'll finally be able to get the opening under an inch.

David Walser
02-20-2007, 7:01 PM
Check out Bob Rosand's website. He describes how he makes a hollowing tool for Christmas ornaments and similarly sized stuff. He uses mild steel bar stock and then silver solders a HSS tool bit for the cutting edge. (You can also buy the tools from Bob for $20 plus shipping.)

Here's a link: http://www.rrosand.com/tools.html

Travis Stinson
02-20-2007, 8:04 PM
You can get a 6' stick of 1/2" cold rolled steel from Enco for just a few dollars and heat with a torch to bend them to different shapes. They also carry a 10 pack of 3/16" HHS cutters that make great cutting tips. Here are several bars of different shapes I made for my mini hollowing rig. The John Jordan 1/2" curved bar is on top.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/1234/DSC04169.jpg

Jason Hallowell
02-20-2007, 10:26 PM
I just bought the Sorby Midi size hollowing tool, and made my first hollowform last weekend. I liked it a lot, but even the fairly small HF I made was stretching it's limits. I plan on buying the next size Sorby hollowing tool very soon. I only bought the midi size, becasue it was the only one my local WW store had in stock. If they would have had the larger one, I probably would have gotten it instead, but I'm sure I'll get plenty of use out of the midi.

Bill Klein
02-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the many valued replies. I decided after reading the responses to my inquiry that I will make the midi or mini hollowing set myself and save for the larger tools when I'm ready to tackle the larger stuff. Again, many thanks, Bill.

Dick Strauss
02-21-2007, 2:06 PM
Bill,
I started making my own tools and quickly found that any off-axis torque at the bit was too hard for me to control hand-held. So I started working on my captive hollowing system design. I enjoy making my own tools and it sounds like you do as well.

As others have said (ie. Jim Ketron and Travis Stinson) you can make a captive hollowing rig when you decide you need it. It requires some basic materials, a little cutting, and a little welding. I just made one (with help from a friend who welded everything). It rivals anything I've ever seen. It can use boring bars from 0.5" to 1.25" and will be able to hollow a 24" deep vessel if I've got it set correctly. I bought cobalt tool bits and made my own round scrapers. I bought most of the material from Enco and acquired a few pieces from a local metal salvage warehouse. The system will fit anything from a 14" to a 20" lathe.

I do have a few bugs to work out with curved boring bars. I also need to clean up the welds and bore/tap holes for set screws. My complete system cost about $100 to build. Once I finish it, I'll be posting a few details for others to see.

Have fun making your own tools,
Dick