PDA

View Full Version : Pens

TYLER WOOD
02-20-2007, 1:08 PM
Well again no pics to show. I have to get pics taken before I let people have their stuff. I made 5 pens this weekend and nothing to show.

But what I do have is a suggestion to some who would like to use something different for pen wood. Find something called psl laminate column material. It is a construction material that has laminated not really chips but almost oval lenghts of wood glued together. It makes an incredible looking pen! Make sure if you are going to turn this, that you use lots of thin ca glue a few times diring turning. This stuff will fly apart easily if not glued. Saw you pen blank, coat sides with ca glue, rough turn, ca glue, turn to finish size, ca glue, sand and finish.

I have done both a red and a white rubbing compound (purchased cheap from Autozone along with carnuba wax) to final sand. The white makes this look like camoflage, and the red makes it look lie a conglomerate stone. Either or, it makes a striking pen that many will wonder how it is done. Even a few pen turners in my area were amazed at the color and markings of the wood.

TYLER WOOD
02-20-2007, 1:40 PM
Here is a pic of the stuff. The section I have had a lot more green color to it thatn this is showing. I loved the camo aspect of the finished product.

John Hart
02-20-2007, 2:02 PM
Yeah...I made a cool pen once too Tyler. 500,000 piece segmented geodesic design with gold inlays that looked like seagulls. Sorry...Don't have a pic though.:o :D

Seriously though...how did you orient this laminate when you drilled it? And...where can I get some?:)

TYLER WOOD
02-20-2007, 2:31 PM
Alright, my camera is never in the garage when I need it. SORRY!!!!!!!:D
I guess I need a seperate camera for my wife and I.

One of the pens was ebony and cedar split on the bias of the pen blank, and glued back together. Segmented I guess but only 5 pieces. I cut the top portion to short, so I glued a piece of purple heart to the top to accent my mistake. Turned out really nice. I'll see if my dad can get a pic and send it to me so I can post that.

I went out to a job site that we had speced these to be used. They had trimmed one down and I picked up the scrap piece. I guess you could try to get some from a construction supply. Or next time I get a piece I'll send you some. Actually I may have some left on the floor, I will check.

I orintated the the strands perpendicular to the lenght of the pen, so that the strands are short. I guess you could orientate it the other direction and get lots of vertical lines along the pen, either way would be nice.

Jim Underwood
02-20-2007, 2:54 PM
Is that the same stuff they call oriented strand board? Or similar?

Oh.. actually I remember the name of the stuff they produce locally - Parallam

John Terefenko
02-20-2007, 11:16 PM
I and I think alot of people here would rather you do not talk about using something and not showing pictures. Just not the same. You describe it but without pictures it is a bunch of words. Got to get the picture police after you.:(

Christopher Zona
02-20-2007, 11:51 PM
I've seen some interesting stuff made with paralam. You can orient it just about however you want.

I came across some myself. Made a bowl, sorry no picture, it's at my mom's now. I suggest wearing a glove on the tool rest hand. Since it is so dry and the shavings are mixed with the adhesives used in the process, the shavings are incredibly hot.

Take a look around construction sites, especially residential sites. This can be a way to locate scraps of it. They probably won't be to big though since it is an engineered piece of material, it is usually made to spec.

TYLER WOOD
02-21-2007, 10:44 AM
All of you are axactly right. No pics, parallam, and wear gloves. Not only are the chips a little warm, they are also very hard and hurt a little. I have a picture of a few of the pens coming from my dad. Hope to update later in the day!