PDA

View Full Version : Something NOT To Do

George Tokarev
02-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Well, have petard, will travel. Figured I'd eggshell this little guy, the 9x3.5 cherry foot maple. Left the rim to keep things from snapping and blithely hollowed to around an eighth. Less sanding, maybe 16th fat.

Should you do this, DO NOT try to set up the grain with a wet rag. Bulged easily over an eighth of an inch on the face grain. Looked like a fat lady in a failing girdle. It was about to hit the wall and then the fire until I decided to microwave it dry. Got back about 98% of the shape, but then I still had to sand it. What a mess I got myself in.

Obviously nothing like water or shellac will ever touch it again. Later when things warm up I'll probably hit it with some oil-based poly or such.

So what does a 9 inch hard maple bowl with a 1" solid cherry base weigh? One hundred forty grams.

John Hart
02-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Doesn't look like you had a bit of trouble. That combination of woods is very attractive. I'd like to see it after the oil or poly....just to see how the tones might change. If it were me, I'd probably go with a clear lacquer to try and preserve the original color.....so I'm curious what you would do.

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2007, 12:13 PM
George are sure you are not telling a a story. I don't see where you had any problem at all.:p :p

I would also just use spray lacquer. I really like the natural look of the wood. Several coats would make that thing shine. Very nice job George.

Nancy Laird
02-20-2007, 12:36 PM
George, I don't see any problems either, but if you don't like it very much, just send it to me and I'll take care of it for you. I happen to think it's very pretty.

I agree with Bernie and John - just clear lacquer and let the wood tell the story.

Nancy

TYLER WOOD
02-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Anybody use naptha for wet sanding? I heard that it does not raise the grain like water or other products. I'm not sure this is exactly wht George was wanting, but maybe it will help.

George Tokarev
02-20-2007, 1:26 PM
Imagine that would be one choice, naptha or mineral spirits. It's sanded pretty well, but it is sort of - well, you be the judge.

Lacquer might preserve the color better, but I'll have to mull that one over. The stuff is so smelly. Not sure if iol is the answer, but might look OK.

Andy Hoyt
02-20-2007, 3:04 PM
Hey! You're blocking the sun.

Well, some of it anyway.

John Chandler
02-20-2007, 10:33 PM
I hope my problems turn out so nice. Good work.

Ernie Nyvall
02-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Looks like it came out okay George. Nice job.