PDA

View Full Version : THE Bar

ChrisLacy
12-05-2003, 8:12 PM
Finally finished the bar. About 2.5 months in this one.

This is located in a very nice couple's basement. Their goal was to turn their basement into a pub. A contractor I work with did all the framing, etc.

The bar is all walnut, solids, plys and veneers. The only thing I did not do is the bar top - at 10ft long, it is bigger than my press. I used Seiling & Jones out of PA - if you ever need some fine veneer work - look them up on the web.

Everything had to come down a L shaped narrow staircase or in a 18Hx22W casement window; there is no walk out access to the basement.

Finish is light coat of toned shellac, then 2 coats toned Fuhr 255 satin. The bar top has about 8 coats of Fuhr 255 gloss, the 2 final coats of semi-gloss finish on the top. The goal was to achieve the older, lighter walnut look that won't happen naturally in a basement with almost no sunlight; nor with a finish that adds UV protection.

The biggest problem was the design limitations, a steel post running right through the middle of the bar and low ceilings above the main cabinets that hide duct work. I had to use more silicon than I would have liked to seal the seams on the bar top, a walk out access would have changed many things about the design.

I stained all the trim for the trim guy, its poplar, 7 step process to get it to look kinda like walnut. The shoe is oak, its not exactly the same color but needed something harder.

I usually look back at a job and grade myself, very rarely do I give my self anything higher than a C+, this is my first A.

Brad Schafer
12-05-2003, 8:24 PM
Finally finished the bar. About 2.5 months in this one.

I usually look back at a job and grade myself, very rarely do I give my self anything higher than a C+, this is my first A.

I'd give it an A as well. Sharp,

b

Joe Suelter
12-05-2003, 9:05 PM
SWEET! That bar rocks!! I just completed a bar in my basement, but the one you just built puts mine to shame!!! Very well done.

Tyler Howell
12-05-2003, 9:35 PM
[Nice Chris.
Serve me up a cool one! :rolleyes:
TJH[FONT=arial][SIZE=3]

Todd Burch
12-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Good looking bar! I'd belly up to that one! Todd.

Jason Tuinstra
12-06-2003, 12:12 AM
Chris,

Fantastic work! I can see that your not going to very helpful for the curve :D

Jason

Terry Quiram
12-06-2003, 8:39 AM
Absolutely beautiful! It ONLY took 2.5 months?

Byron Trantham
12-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Chris, absolutely outstanding. I can relate to the limited access. I built a 12' bar top shaped like a boomerang. They did have a walk-out but it was dicey never-the-less. The top was formica and as you know, chips real easy.