PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Scrolling

Ruby in NC
02-27-2003, 2:30 PM
This may just be my system, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case others are seeing this behavior, too.

When I enter the Support forum, everything fits neatly on my screen from left to right. At a glance, I can see all the columns associated with the threads.

When I enter the other forums, the columns extend well beyond the viewing area (17" window on the world). Thus, I have to scroll across to get to the prior page links, for example.

Again, this may be my browser, since it does need upgrading. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the work on this site. It's been amazing to see how fast everything has come together.

Regards,
Ruby

Ted Shrader
02-27-2003, 3:34 PM
Ruby -

What is your display set up for? 800X600, 1024X768, larger?

Could be the pictures in the post are extending the right boundary and it is carrying down the screen. Mine does OK in 1024X768.

Ted

Ruby in NC
02-27-2003, 3:48 PM
Originally posted by Ted Shrader
What is your display set up for? 800X600, 1024X768, larger?

Ted, it's 800x600.

Since the Support forum and the New Messages link doesn't require scrolling, it's leading me to believe there's a coding difference between the Support and Woodworking forum for example. However, it may simply be that I need to upgrade the software on this old box.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciated.

Regards,
Ruby

P.S.

BTW, the messages themselves are fine. The only time I need to scroll a message is when a wide picture is in the thread. It's the message index pages of the forums (except the Support forum) that require scrolling.

Keith Outten
02-27-2003, 4:59 PM
Ruby,

All of the forums here use the same software setup, there is no difference between the Support Forum and any other.

The wide pictures that are posted force the screen to widen and thus make you have to scroll side to side. I have a 19" monitor set for 1152x864 resolution and some of the pictures cause the same problem on my monitor.

Ruby in NC
02-28-2003, 8:18 AM
Hi Keith,

First, thanks for your reply. However, I suspect that we are talking about two different things. When reading the contents of a particular thread, a large picture can cause left to right scrolling. Agree with you on that. :)

I don't think I'm explaining very well, what I'm seeing. So, I'll try it again. Thank you for bearing with me on this.

When I come to the SMC index page the columns for the forums fit nicely on the screen without any L/R scrolling. From the list of forums, I select "Support".

When Support (forumdisplay / id 7) opens to show the list of threads, the list fits on the screen. All columns are visible without scrolling -- Thread, Thread Starter, Replies, Views, Rating, Last Post. The text wraps in the "Thread" Column cells.

Same behavior when selecting "View New Posts" from the index page.

However, from the index page, when I select Woodworking (forumdisplay / id 3) or Neander / Design / Laser the thread listing opens with a L/R scroll bar. The text does NOT wrap in the "Thread" column cells. Each thread title in the list occupies a single screen line.

In Support forum, the thread titles occupies as many screen lines as needed to accomodate the length of text string within the cell.

Hope that makes sense. Sorry to be so long winded.

Regards,
Ruby