PDA

View Full Version : Need to do Sterling Silver

Tracey Bakewell
02-19-2007, 10:54 PM
So I have a piece of jewelry to play with and I know it is sterling silver. Can I do this? If so, what settings would I try? I'm going to go ahead and play a bit so if anyone is awake and online on this holiday evening :D

Thanks!
Tracey

Tracey Bakewell
02-19-2007, 11:10 PM
So, just tried a couple settings, one I used for Sterling Silver and the other I used for Brass. The first round with no Cermark, and nothing, the second round with Cermark and I got a nice mark and it washed off nicely too! :D

Soooo, if I've learned anything... there must be a coating I need to get through correct? Or is Sterling Silver THE coating?

Why do I have to keep getting the work that I CAN'T do :)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Tracey

David Lavaneri
02-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Tracey,

Traditionally, Sterling silver doesn't have a coating. In some cases, sterling jewelry is plated with rhodium, to give it more of a platinum appearance.

You'll find some items, such as Sterling picture frames to be lacquer coated, to prevent tarnishing.

In that case, you'd have to lase the lacquer off, before applying Cermark.

From the description of your laser, you have plenty of power.

Sterling is a good heat sink, therefore to make a greater bond with Cermark, it's necessary to use much less speed than you might think; in many cases, less than 10%.

You might also try engraving at a higher dpi.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Rodne Gold
02-20-2007, 9:35 AM
The problem with engraving Silver is that the mark comes off when its cleaned with Abraisive polishes (silvo , brasso) and with some jewellery cleaners (most good ones are based on Phosphoric acids)
You would most likely have to laquer dip the silver after and makes sure you at bare metal before.
It's really looking for problems doing silver or metals that tarnish , other lasers do a better job on them.