PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 engraving & lighting

Wendell Jordan
02-19-2007, 7:40 PM
I'm a first time poster but have been reading and learning a lot from this forum for quite a while. My son has been messing with engraving xbox covers and is trying to engrave a clear case and lighting it. We're trying to figure out how to do what we've seen on another site. I've included a link to the site and a pic. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Wendell
http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_custom_case.htm

Dave Jones
02-19-2007, 8:20 PM
From what it says, they didn't engrave the actual case. They engraved a flat piece of polycarbonate and then that is mounted to the clear case. The lights are common in clear cases.

They say they used polycarbonate, but I would think using a sheet of cast acrylic would give good results. I suspect from the picture they used regular clear sheet and the color comes from the lights. Using cast acrylic you could use clear also, or maybe one of the "florescent" colors, which are almost clear but have stronger colors on the edges and within the engraving.

Frank Corker
02-20-2007, 3:48 AM
I agree with Dave, a deep engraving on 'edgelit' acrylic or any cast acrylic, with the added light from underneath or the sides, would have a similar effect. It does look like an added piece inside there and not the original box case.

Wendell Jordan
02-20-2007, 9:25 PM
Thanks for the opinions Dave & Frank. It's what I had been guessing also. I'll get some cast acrylic and give it a try. I'll let you know how we did.