PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen cabinet questions

Jake Helmboldt
02-19-2007, 2:26 PM
A friend asked me to make new doors for her kitchen remodel, however I told her that she would likely be better off going w/ a specialty supplier given my limited time and the cost (i.e. minimal "profit" to be price competitive with the big guys). Given that, I have two questions:

1. I wanted to get feedback from those of you who have used a supplier for your doors. I don't want to recommend a supplier that I can't get actual feedback on their product and services.

2. For paint grade, raised panel doors in a kitchen, what material would you prefer for stability and longevity?

Thanks, Jake

Edit: I've seen some references to Cal Door; how are their prices? Their online order form submits a quote request and requires lots of info. I don't care to spend a lot of time putting together a detailed quote request only to find that their prices are super steep.

Stan Welborn
02-19-2007, 2:34 PM
I had Wall Lumber make mine. Mainly because I was able to go pick them up, but I was exceptionally pleased with the results. They have several styles to choose from on their website, though I went with the basic design.

Von Bickley
02-19-2007, 5:33 PM
Material for paint grade raised panel doors in a kitchen... You will probably get a lot of different answers.... My choice would be maple.;)

Phil Pritchard
02-19-2007, 6:01 PM
Material for paint grade raised panel doors in a kitchen... You will probably get a lot of different answers.... My choice would be maple.;)
Mine would be MR-MDF (moisture-resistant MDF). A lot cheaper and much easier to work ;)

Ben Grunow
02-19-2007, 9:05 PM
Had good results with Porta-door (www.Portadoor.com (http://www.Portadoor.com)?) making flat panel doors PG. Think the majority of material votes will be for MDF or maple.

Dave Falkenstein
02-19-2007, 11:41 PM
I have used Cal Door - excellent products and reasonable pricing from my point of view:

http://www.caldoor.com/home.htm

For paint grade doors, I would choose poplar.

ps - I checked an invoice where I used Cal Door. I bought (4) rather large (much larger than kitchen cabinet doors) knotty pine doors for two entertainment center niches, raised panel, unfinished, for just over $100 per door. I don't think I could have built them for that price.

Joe Chritz
02-20-2007, 2:44 AM
#1 - Can't help ya

#2 - I would cut a single piece on the cnc from mdf. For a 5 piece either poplar or soft maple.

Joe - Currently up to his neck in cabinet doors

David Cramer
02-20-2007, 9:10 AM
I would use Poplar also. If you weren't trying to save a few bucks, then I go maple. Poplar does paint nicely though, in my experiences anyways. Good luck!

Dave

Keith Webster
02-20-2007, 11:17 AM
I like to build my own doors when building something unique. I go to a local cabinet door maker here in Corpus that does them all day long and makes very nice doors. When I compare what it cost me in material and labor....well I can not compare with his prices. Also...on paintgrade doors just have them made from poplar and mdf panels.

Eric Wong
02-20-2007, 2:11 PM
Make that 3 votes for Poplar, or MDF as a second choice.