PDA

View Full Version : Bandsawing hard rubber (?)

glenn bradley
02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
You know those hard rubber sanding blocks with the little nails under the flaps? I have a couple that are about 3/16" too wide to work with evenly divided sandpaper sheets. Are there any dangers in just band-sawing a strip off the sides to make them the appropriate width? Rubber only, no metal in the way.

Gary Breckenridge
02-19-2007, 11:56 AM
There won't be much of a problem. A bit of burning rubber smell :eek: in a house may be a problem; have a shop vac right there.

Chuck Saunders
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
You might find that it cuts better if you freeze the rubber first. The other solution is to cut with a sharp knife with water.
Chuck

glenn bradley
02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Oooooooh, good one Chuck. That sounds like the ticket. It's just a bit too tough for a knife and more material than I care to sand off.

CPeter James
02-19-2007, 4:29 PM
I don't know about cutting them, but the bottoms of all three of the ones I have were not flat and I flattened thm on my belt sander and what a difference it made in the way they worked.

CPeter

Richard Butler
02-19-2007, 4:58 PM
Here is link to a copy of the 1943 Delta bandsaw manual. On page 6 they list the variety of materials you can cut along with recommended blade type and speeds.

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Delta/1946-14BandSaw.pdf

glenn bradley
02-19-2007, 7:35 PM
I used the freezer method. Worked great. I had one of those that were not flat on the bottom. . . gave it away. All these are flat.

My thanks to all who helped out!