PDA

View Full Version : Stained glass projects

Ace Karner
12-05-2003, 10:40 AM
I have mentioned stained glass work before, talked with several memebers in chat about it so thought I'd post a pic of the crosses I'm making for this Christmas. It is wood related also since I make bases for the crosses.

This cross is 1 inch beveled glass with a purple outline, the base is Mahagony, I haven't finished it yet, so far it only has one coat of Tung oil, will give it a couple more then wax.

Sorry about the quality of the pic, I haven't figured out yet how to photograph these, no matter what I try just doesn't look right.

They cross is 15 inch high including base and 10 inchs wide.

Thanks for looking

ace

Don Abele
12-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Ace, that's beautiful. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Be well,

Doc

Ron Meadows
12-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Very nice Ace. I see why you sell those as fast as you can make them.

Well done!!!

Ron

Jason Roehl
12-05-2003, 4:07 PM
Thanks for sharing those as promised, Ace!! They look great!

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-05-2003, 5:31 PM
Those are really nice Ace! I can't decide which is more beautiful, the Cross itself, or the nice wooden stand you build for it. Nice work.........I always wanted to try my hand at Stained Glass, it looks like it would be enjoyable. Just what I need, another hobby to eat up more of my Mad Money. I think that will have to wait a few years...............until I get the "Baby" through College. (Good thing I have about everything I want for my Shop, 'cause I have a feeling I know where my extra money will be going for the next 4 or more years!) :D
Nice work Ace, thanks for taking the time to post the picture......VERY nice work. :)

Tom Sweeney
12-05-2003, 6:05 PM
says LOML as she walks by & sees your cross.
Great Job Ace - very nice work :cool:

Bob Lasley
12-05-2003, 6:10 PM
Ace,

That is really purty!! Do you have means to bevel the glass or do you buy it that way? Like Kevin, I would like to learn stained glass work, even checked into classes once, but, like Kevin, figured I didn't need another place to throw money.

I'm surprised those crosses don't have turned bases!! :D

Nice work Ace. Thanks for posting the pics.

Bob

Mark Hulette
12-06-2003, 3:02 PM
Really like the stained glass work and the woodwork, too! Like the others I've looked into incorporating SG into my woodworking but there's only 35 hours in a day, right? :D

You are right when you say that taking pics of anything glass is tough. There are several tutorials out on the web on taking pics of turnings and I believe these would serve you well. They mainly use indirect lighting (flash off camera) with a light tent. This keeps the harsh on-camera flash from projecting on the highly reflective glass. I was going to suggest turning the stained glass just a few degrees from being square to the camera but the beveled glass complicates that.

There are lots of options to getting nice digital pics and they don't have to be expensive. The learning curve is really flattened when you can see immediately what the lighting is doing. Good luck and great work!

Ace Karner
12-06-2003, 5:45 PM
Really like the stained glass work and the woodwork, too! Like the others I've looked into incorporating SG into my woodworking but there's only 35 hours in a day, right? :D

You are right when you say that taking pics of anything glass is tough. There are several tutorials out on the web on taking pics of turnings and I believe these would serve you well. They mainly use indirect lighting (flash off camera) with a light tent. This keeps the harsh on-camera flash from projecting on the highly reflective glass. I was going to suggest turning the stained glass just a few degrees from being square to the camera but the beveled glass complicates that.

There are lots of options to getting nice digital pics and they don't have to be expensive. The learning curve is really flattened when you can see immediately what the lighting is doing. Good luck and great work!

Thanks for the kind words, I have lots of ideas, little time right now but I am going to find out somehow how to take decent pics, I have to come by some lights first, maybe after the holidays.

Ace Karner
12-06-2003, 5:47 PM
Ace,

That is really purty!! Do you have means to bevel the glass or do you buy it that way? Like Kevin, I would like to learn stained glass work, even checked into classes once, but, like Kevin, figured I didn't need another place to throw money.

I'm surprised those crosses don't have turned bases!! :D

Nice work Ace. Thanks for posting the pics.

Bob

I buy the bevels Bob, too much time to grind and polish them on my own when they aren't all that expensive.