PDA

View Full Version : My New Knight Infill Planes Tool Gloat !

Ben Roman
02-19-2007, 9:53 AM
I had been debating for a while of my need for a infill plane. I came into a few bucks last month and decided it was time for some new tools. I picked up 2 planes from steve knight over at Knight Toolworks. The first one is a high back Infill and the second is a pocket infill. Both feel excellent in the hand, and make whispy shavings. This is my first tool gloat!

Ben :eek:

Mark Singer
02-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Ben,
Congradulations...very nice! I have a few Knight planes and they are terrific!

Bob Hallowell
02-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow, Ben and what a gloat it is. Those are sweet! have fun.

Bob

Charles McKinley
02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
OOOOOOOOOooooooooo........

AAAAAAaahhhhhhhhh.......

Cleaning the drool off of the keyboard.

Very nice Ben. Thanks for posting the eye candy.

Joe Unni
02-19-2007, 3:46 PM
Congrats Ben!!

I received my Knight just a short while ago, though my gloat ( http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51890) was a bit different :D

Thus far my smoother seems to live up to its expectations.

Good luck,
-joe

Dave Anderson NH
02-19-2007, 6:48 PM
Congrats Ben. No one I know has ever been sorry they purchased one of Steve's planes. You'll have a small learning curve as you develop the skills of setting the iron, but it's a very small price to pay and it's another skill added to your repetoire.

Wiley Horne
02-19-2007, 9:42 PM
Ben,

Congratulations! I know from experience you can count on those planes to be tuned perfectly, dead flat soles, and tiny little mouths on them. They'll be great performers.

The little bevel-up one is fascinating--the one where the blade fits in underneath the rear infill. I can't figure out what's going on: What does the blade rest on? And what is holding the rear infill in place? It's a remarkable plane design.

Wiley

Steve knight
02-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Ben,

Congratulations! I know from experience you can count on those planes to be tuned perfectly, dead flat soles, and tiny little mouths on them. They'll be great performers.

The little bevel-up one is fascinating--the one where the blade fits in underneath the rear infill. I can't figure out what's going on: What does the blade rest on? And what is holding the rear infill in place? It's a remarkable plane design.

Wiley
the blade rests on the metal ramp and a wood ramp after that. the iron is bedded at 12 degrees. the wood block under the screwcap is for comfort to give a better handhold like a knuckle cap.