PDA

View Full Version : New member introduction

Tom Bowdich
02-19-2007, 8:50 AM
I joined the Forum last November - thought it was about time to introduce myself... I've been doing occasional woodworking for the past 5 years or so. I have a workshop set up in my basement and have been in constant "tool acquisition" mode from the start - I suspect many woodworkers have that same habit... My latest addition was an Excalibur blade guard that I picked up at a local woodworking show in December. Then I realized that I needed a splitter that would fit under the guard, then found that my thin kerf blade wouldn't work with the splitter I decided to get,... It never ends - but I'm not complaining.

My most ambitious project was a bookcase that I made with my son - the plans were from Wood magazine a few years ago. Here are a couple of pictures...

I appreciate all the great information that's available here - this forum is a great resource. Thanks!

Tom

Jim Becker
02-19-2007, 9:24 AM
Tom, that's a great debut to the "posting project pictures" side of things!!! Very nice work.

David Cramer
02-19-2007, 9:31 AM
Hey, Welcome Tom!

I definitely remember that bookcase from Wood Magazine. You did a great job with it. Good luck with the blade guard issue. Was it a really good price at the show? I am going with the shark after reading all of the positive remarks about it. Dust control is a huge thing with me. You mentioned your son helped you out on the bookcase. How old is he? Good on you Tom, you can never start them out too young (I should say, if he is young)! How was the woodshow in Michigan? I hear that alot of them(shows around the country) are starting to have really low attendance and that scares me that they are going to start cancelling shows. Congrads on the project and keep posting.

Dave

Glenn Clabo
02-19-2007, 9:38 AM
Welcome Tom...AND nice work. I don't know how old your son is...but my son (now 30) and I have a great time talking about me screwing up things while trying to "teach" him. Of course he takes great joy in it all and brings it up whenever he can.

Tom Bowdich
02-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome and comments!

The woodworking show here in Novi, Michigan was at a new expo center, and was so well attended that it was hard to get through the aisles. No sign of declining interest in woodworking in this area!

I got a small discount on the blade guard at the show, but after reading reviews and comments here I should have bought the shark instead. Mounting the Excalibur was a bit of a challenge - I had to shorten the extension table for the arm to reach the blade, and lengthen the end skirt on the table to mount the bracket. I like the guard and it's dust collection - the shark just looks a lot simpler and keeps the extension table clear of obstructions. I posted a few pictures in this thread (I hope this link works...)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52206

My son is 21. He and I did the bookcase project a couple of years ago. We both started in woodworking together - it's been great to have him work with me on projects. Unfortunately that's somewhat limited now to the times that he's home from college...

Don Bullock
02-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Welcome. Excellent bookcase Tom. It's nice to hear about projects people do with their children. That's how I learned and it was a great experience.

Paul Douglass
02-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Good to have you here, Tom. Beautiful bookcase.

Ralph Okonieski
02-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Very Nice Bookcase !

Al Killian
02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
The bookcase looks great. I'm glad your soon is into learning a skill like woodworking with you. I was introduced to this addication:) thru my uncle when I was only eight or so. Keep up the exellent work.

Jerry Olexa
02-19-2007, 3:18 PM
Good job on the bookcase and WELCOME!!!

Ron Brese
02-19-2007, 3:25 PM
That's a nice bookcase. I bet it looks better than the one in the mag.

Ron

Dan Forman
02-19-2007, 4:33 PM
Welcom Tom, a fine looking bookcase you have there. Good luck with the splitter-guard-blade situation.

Dan

Von Bickley
02-19-2007, 5:10 PM
Tom,

Welcome to "The Creek".... and that is a great looking bookcase.:) :) :)

Jim Young
02-19-2007, 5:40 PM
Tom, welcome to the site. Are you involved with any of the local clubs?

Fred Voorhees
02-19-2007, 5:52 PM
Great looking bookcase Tom. Excellent results.

Tom Bowdich
02-19-2007, 6:55 PM
Thanks again for the warm welcome and comments.

Jim Young - I'm not familiar with any local clubs. Where would I find information about them?

Don Stanley
02-19-2007, 8:04 PM
Hey Tom, that's a very nice looking bookcase! I really like the finish! We'll look forward to seeing more of your projects.

-Don

Jim Young
02-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Where would I find information about them?
Here is one for flat workers:
http://marsh-monster.com/forum/wiki/pmwiki.php
They meet every thrid Thursday in Ypsilanti. Great group of people. Tjere is another group in Livonia, they call themselves a guild. Don't know much about them but could find the name if you are interested. Just pm me.

Alan Greene
02-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Tom, Great bookcase and welcome to the Creek