PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's?

Bob Lasley
12-05-2003, 9:09 AM
Good Friday moning everyone,

After that three day work week last week, this week sure has seemed long! We are having a big birthday celebration for LOML tomorrow evening. Expecting about 40 people so I'm sure this evening and tomorrow will be busy with preparations. I'll be running things around here.................like the broom, mop, vacuum cleaner, etc. :rolleyes: With luck, I'll sneak in a little shop time and hopefully a little more on Sunday. I'm nearing completion on the toolchest I'm making for my son's Xmas gift. I have to get five jewelry/music boxes made and then I'm home free. Should be done by midnight Christmas eve anyway.

What's happening in your world this weekend? 'Bout got those gifts made?

Have a great weekend all,
Bob

Glenn Clabo
12-05-2003, 9:14 AM
She showed me the receipt the other day...:D

Jim Becker
12-05-2003, 9:23 AM
Well, this weekend, I'm "back on the clock", as it were. I also need to make a cover for the fireplace in my office to help keep out the cold...I keep forgetting that there isn't a piece of furniture in front of it anymore and it's at leat 10 degrees colder in my office because of it.

I suspect I'll be clearing some snow, too...they are now calling for a lot more than they originally were as the storm changed its track slightly.

Byron Trantham
12-05-2003, 9:28 AM
with all the small projects. I've been making picture frames, thread spool racks, kitchen utensil magnetic holders, step stools - you name it. I put the last coat of lacquer on six of the pieces this morning and then I start a paying job - in melamine! Yuk! Oh well it put a nice DeWalt 13" planer under the tree. It arrived yesterday and the LOML absconded with it immediately. "Oh noooo you don't, it's not Christmas yet.." ;)

Ya'll have a great weekend and keep your fingers on your hands....

Keith Starosta
12-05-2003, 9:51 AM
I started yesterday, and will continue through the weekend, to move all of the "stuff" that belongs in my basement out of the garage/shop where it belongs. When Hurricane Isabel hit, my sump pump went out and the basement flooded BIG TIME. So, my shop was transformed into temporary shelter for all the....well, CRAP, that was sitting in the basement.

I've re-claimed my space now and will hopefully be able to start the small display case I want to give to LOML. We shall see...

Jason Tuinstra
12-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Shovel snow!!! :mad:

Byron Trantham
12-05-2003, 10:34 AM
I started yesterday, and will continue through the weekend, to move all of the "stuff" that belongs in my basement out of the garage/shop where it belongs. When Hurricane Isabel hit, my sump pump went out and the basement flooded BIG TIME. So, my shop was transformed into temporary shelter for all the....well, CRAP, that was sitting in the basement.

I've re-claimed my space now and will hopefully be able to start the small display case I want to give to LOML. We shall see...

Keith, I have a sump pump also. :mad: We baby sat that pump all during Isabel. We have a gas generator just to run the pump (and refrigerator and freezer). I bought a back-up pump. Guess when they quit? During use! Ours did quit and I quickly installed the new one and all went well. Mine has a check valve and union joint down from the valve. All I do, is unplug the old pump unscrew the union, remove the pipe from the old pump and screw it into the new pump. Plug it in and you're ready to go. I use Outlook for my mail it has a calendar. I posted a reminder for 1 1/2 years from now to buy another pump. The new one has a 2 year warranty. I figure a six month leeway should do it. I figure this is very cheap insurance. ;)

Rob Russell
12-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Ya know, there may be another solution to the whole sump pump thing.

When we bought our house, it had a sump pump. No biggie, we said - both our parents' houses had sump pumps growing up.

We had a pump die and the outside line freeze, causing floods each time.

Our house sits above the street. We had a trench dug and ran a gravity feed pipe from our sump and draintile down to the storm sewer. It has a backflow check valve in the event that the storm drain ever backs up the hill towards the house, but if that ever happens Noah's gonna be floating by with an ark pretty soon.

It's awfully nice to know that the groundwater just drains out. Power outages are not a concern. Pumps aren't a concern. Basically, basement floods aren't a concern anymore.

Rob

Mike Evertsen
12-05-2003, 11:22 AM
have to start on a receipe box for Christmas and build two walls for a small office area so I can move my computer to the shop,,,,,,,

PeterTorresani
12-05-2003, 12:36 PM
I think it is about time to start on Christmas presents for this year. With any luck, I should be ready in time for Birthday's.

Two projects: 1) Desk clock 2) Cabinets for the mud room

I miss a heated shop. should have built it with the house and included it the loan. Kay Sarah Sarah

Paul Geer
12-05-2003, 12:45 PM
after that start work on a display case for my best glass insulators.
And maybe go after some mahogany for a half round table.

John Miliunas
12-05-2003, 1:18 PM
Hoping to finish ductwork on DC system pickups, route the DC return duct (insullated) and hang the Hot Dawg. Everyone have a great weekend! :cool:

Scott Coffelt
12-05-2003, 1:58 PM
Well after having a whole week (last week) and not getting a darn thing done, this weekend will be time back on the EC predrilling for lights, switch and wires. Building support panels for the speaker cloth (hidden behind doors) and building a shelf to span the cabinets.

Installing doors on two storage units in our office, they have 1/4 ply and the dang things leak air like they aren't even there.

Finally, hopefully make a short trip to the lumber yard for some wood to start some small boxes for xmas presents.

Watch some more pigskin. Cats play on Saturday night int e Big 12 championship game, though it could be real ugly for Cat fans. Chumps play Denver on Sunday.

Wrap up the last of the xmas decorations so I can get storage boxes back into storage and out of the kitchen.

Dave Dionne
12-05-2003, 2:22 PM
Well they are calling for 12-18" of snow for me tonight and all day tomorrow, No sense in cleaning the driveway more then once so may get a little time on the new lathe I just bought. Should be fun I have never turned anything in my life.

Dave

Dick Parr
12-05-2003, 2:47 PM
I hope to get the face frame on this cabinet this weekend. I haven’t gotten to spend much time in the shop in the last couple of months because of my health. But I need to finish this cabinet for the wife before Christmas. I bought the plywood back in August and started it the end of September. I have the cherry face frame material cut but not together.

Lee Schierer
12-05-2003, 3:53 PM
Tonight I hope to get some more finish on the dreser drawers before I go to my Mom's. She wants to chage ISP from MSN to earthlink. Hopefully that won't take too long. Saturday will be spent hunting, Sunday will be church in the morning and hopefully some shop time in the afternoon and evening. LOML will probably want to decorate on Sunday too. I need to finish the dresser so I can start the EC for our house..

Tyler Howell
12-05-2003, 9:43 PM
Nice Shop. Let's see some more! :)

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-05-2003, 9:53 PM
Saturday, going to my Exotic Wood Supplier friend to pick up 150 Exotic Pen Blanks of almost every flavor I can think of. Will check out some burl he has as well, no telling what I will come home with. ;) Also Saturday, need to clean and reorganize the shop.............I have stuff laying everywhere it shouldn't be, and it is driving me nuts! Sunday, off to church and breakfast, hopefully some Pen Blank Prep and glue up, and maybe some turning also. I am all caught up on Slot Car Box orders for Christmas, shipped the final one on Wednesday.........WHEW, glad that is done. I am not really fond of having to work to deadlines, it sure takes the fun out of Woodworking. Here is a shot of the last Slot Car Box I made and shipped Wednesday..............this one is going to NJ. This is a design for 1/24th Scale Drag Racing Slot Cars...........these cars are longer, that is why the sliding shelves on the right are 12 1/2" wide. More Tool Money...................which is a GOOD thing! :D

Terry Hatfield
12-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Hanging Xmas lites somtime this weekend. :( Sorry to be a spoil sport, but I hate that job.

I just came in from the shop and I'm glad to report that the entertainment center is well underway. I got all the door and face frames ruffed out tonite. Tomorrow I'll cut the stiles and rails for the sides and begin the joinery. Hopefully I'll have something looking like progress pics to post by Sunday nite. :D

Everyone have a great weekend and be safe.

Terry

Mike Laing
12-07-2003, 6:45 PM
Hello All,

Well this is the first weekend that my shop has been powered up. I have lights ,heat and my phaseconverter and felder powered up and ready to go. The tech comes on the 17th to set the machine up and then I am ready to make some serious sawdust.

Since I can't make any furniture I have been working on shop projects
with my portable power tools. I have built shelves and am currently working on a rolling tool stand. I like getting the shop setup first before the "real fun" begins.

Mike