PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Driftmaster Bandsaw Fence Upgrade

Jeff Wright
02-19-2007, 7:44 AM
Anybody have the recently introduced Driftmaster bandsaw fence from Laguna? I am considering installing it on my MM20. I especially like its ability to adjust on-the-fly for drift and the microadjustment for cutting veneers without having to rejoint after each cut.

How involved is its installation?

For a video demo visit:

http://www.lagunatools.com/videos.htm

richard poitras
02-19-2007, 7:53 AM
I recently had the chance to see one and test one out at the wood show in Novi in Dec. I was very impressed with the easy of adjustment, very nice fence..

John Miliunas
02-19-2007, 9:15 AM
Well, it sure does look very interesting and, I'll admit that, LT does indeed come up with some neat innovations. I checked out the video and it looked interesting enough to me to drop them an email to see what pricing on it is. Can't immediately afford it but, something to start saving for! :) :cool:

Jeff Wright
02-19-2007, 9:49 AM
Well, it sure does look very interesting and, I'll admit that, LT does indeed come up with some neat innovations. I checked out the video and it looked interesting enough to me to drop them an email to see what pricing on it is. Can't immediately afford it but, something to start saving for! :) :cool:

I understand it is about $275.

nic obie
02-19-2007, 2:44 PM
That is a pretty cool fence.

I especially like the way you can crank it across the table and the way it effectively makes your table bigger. I added a extension on to the back of my BS and it made a big difference when resawing long boards.

I suppose the way to adjust for drift is ok, but I don't see much improvement over what my MM16 has other than you need a wrench with the MiniMax.

The nicest feature, I think, is the two position fence. I know that I would find that handy.

My only concerns are; how hard is it to R & R the fence in order to get it out of the way (when needing the saw's full capacity), and if the lack of being able to position the fence on the right of the blade would limit certain angle cuts.

I'll be sure to check it out at the big show in Las Vegas. If it clamps as rigid and slides as smooth my stock MM fence I'll most likely buy one.

Doug Shepard
02-19-2007, 8:37 PM
My only concerns are; how hard is it to R & R the fence in order to get it out of the way (when needing the saw's full capacity), and if the lack of being able to position the fence on the right of the blade would limit certain angle cuts.

I guess I'd have the same concern. I've used the stock MM fence on the RH side quite a bit for beveled cuts. I cant find the thread but I saw a product announcement in one of the WW mags and asked here about it, thinking about investigating it for my MM16. Not unhappy with the stock fence, but the Laguna one sounded pretty sweet. I dont recall the specific question that prompted someone to reply that the Laguna might rely on a table of specific thickness which might make attaching one to a MM a bit problematic. I wasn't even aware of the inability to use it on the RH side at the time.

Myself, I think I'll just wait until Bruce Page reverse engineers one and coughs up an even better version for half the cost (like his Microfence (sic) plunge base). I'll just copy his.:D Bruce - are you listening?;)