PDA

View Full Version : Which 18" -20" bandsaw????

Ron Bible
02-19-2007, 6:43 AM
I want to thank R. Heuer and Matthew Balarseh for answering my question on The Rikon Drill Press.
Now I really need some input on Bandsaws. I am interested in getting an 18-20 inch. Can any of you help me?
Here is what I am interested in:

Ease of changing blade for scrolling or resawing
plenty of power
resawing accuracy
fence size..(or) ability to upgrade to large resawing fence.
machine quality, tightness, tight tollerances.
of course, Price.Price: 800-1500
Brands considering:

Rikon
Jet
Grizzly
bridgewood
higher priced ones (mm) etc for consideration. (probably out of reach pricewise)
I want a really good resawing unit.I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. I have found some info in the archives, but, maybe I've missed some.

Thanks for your help, Ron

Ron Blaise
02-19-2007, 7:04 AM
I want to thank R. Heuer and Matthew Balarseh for answering my question on The Rikon Drill Press.
Now I really need some input on Bandsaws. I am interested in getting an 18-20 inch. Can any of you help me?
Here is what I am interested in:

plenty of power
resawing accuracy
of course, Price.Price: 800-1500
Brands considering:

Rikon
Jet
Grizzly
bridgewood
higher priced ones (mm) etc for consideration. (probably out of reach pricewise)
I want a really good resawing unit.I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. I have found some info in the archives, but, maybe I've missed some.

Should be on page 2 or three (misspelled the title Riknon).
Ron

Mike Weaver
02-19-2007, 7:19 AM

Hi Ron, I have the MM16 and like it.

Try these threads for a lot of info:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49737&highlight=resaw+bandsaw+purchase
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45339&highlight=resaw+bandsaw+purchase
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41804&highlight=resaw+bandsaw+purchase
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17141&highlight=resaw+bandsaw+purchase

Hope that helps a bit,
-Mike

Alex Yeilding
02-19-2007, 8:44 AM
Should be on page 2 or three (misspelled the title Riknon).
Ron
Would like to see your review, but page 2 or 3 of what, Ron?

Dan Stuewe
02-19-2007, 11:23 AM
I recently went through this process and decided on the Grizzly G0514X 18" band saw (for some reason they call it a 19" band saw but the max width of cut is 18 1/4"). Car troubles have kept me from spending the money, but, unless something great comes up on craigslist or the classifieds this it what I hope to get sometime this year.

Obviously I don't own one yet, so why in the world am I even bothering posting? Well, I thought I'd pass along my personal thought process...

Having decided to skip right over the venerable 14" band saw and get a "larger" band saw I wanted the most cutting width and quality I could get keeping to a budget right in line with yours. It seemed to rather quickly come down to the Grizzly, Rikon and Steel City (SC) 18" band saws. I can get the Rikon and Steel City locally so I've taken a look at each. The features for all three are pretty similar (quick release tension, window for tracking, bearing guides ...) A strong plus for the Steel City is a mechanical brake. The Grizzly and Rikon have rack and pinion blade tilt with the Grizzly trunion being case iron (don't recall if the Rikon is cast iron). The SC trunion is aluminum with a nice wide stance, but two bolts must be loosened to tilt the table. The Grizzly was the only one with a 3 Hp motor, the others are 2 Hp. Those are the main things I can recall off the top of my head. The scales tilted to the Grizzly based on the trunion and simple aesthetics, I just like the way it looks better. I also found (through this forum) an article/discussion about adding a blade brake to a band saw that seems eminently do-able.

Good luck!

Ron Blaise
02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=529423#post529423

Dennis Perry
02-20-2007, 12:30 AM
I have the Jet 18 3hp saw w/power feeder. Works great, only use it for resawing with a 1" carbide tipprd blade. No drift no shortage of power thru 12" wood with the power feed. There is a photo of the saw on another thread, it's in the background. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51681

It's no Italian saw but works great for me.

Thanks Dennis

Alex Yeilding
02-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Dumb question here.

I read some of the things written here and say "that can't be". Then I read manufacturer's specs and have the same confusion, so it's time to ask what I don't understand.

I always understood the 18" to refer to the wheel diameter (rounded if the wheel is made to a metric size). Is that right, or does it refer to cutting capacity on the left side of the blade (for most saws)?

I also always thought that the cutting capacity would be a smidgen (where "smidgen is defined as ~1/2" ) less than the wheel diameter to allow for the blade guard on the frame side of the blade.

Both Jet and Rikon claim 18 3/8" cutting capacity with 18 3/8" wheels, while Steel City states a little differently--18" blade-to-frame distance with 18" wheels. Do these saws have removable guards on the frame side of the blade to get this capacity? Sounds like a way to make what I consider a very safe power tool pretty dangerous!

Chris Friesen
02-21-2007, 5:08 PM
Both Jet and Rikon claim 18 3/8" cutting capacity with 18 3/8" wheels, while Steel City states a little differently--18" blade-to-frame distance with 18" wheels. Do these saws have removable guards on the frame side of the blade to get this capacity? Sounds like a way to make what I consider a very safe power tool pretty dangerous!

I suspect its just rounding. My Steel City saw is a bit under 18 1/4" from blade to frame, and the wheels are a bit over 18 1/2" at the crown. (Hard to measure accurately, axle nut is in the way.)

Paul Wingert
02-21-2007, 6:15 PM
I have the 18" Rikon and am real happy with it. If you have specific questions, go ahead and ask.

The blade slot in the front was a great idea. Very easy to change the blades. A little time consuming to use allen wrenches to readjust guides after blade change

plenty of power
Yes, the cast iron wheels help too

resawing accuracy
I don't resaw, don't know

The included fence really sucks. Some upgrade to a Kreg fence. If Steel City
has a better fence, that might be worth paying the extra $$ for.. Or make your own.
The Rikon fence is definitely not adequate for resawing as it flexes too easy.

All in all good. Fine for hobbyist.

of course, Price.

Eric Wong
02-21-2007, 6:21 PM
I do a bit of teaching at my local Woodcraft, and the 18" Rikon seems to be a solid saw. If you go with Rikon, however, be sure to get a recently assembled machine. They had a bad batch of motors on some saws that were made last summer. We had several motors burn out on us after only a few hours runtime.

Brian Hale
02-21-2007, 6:28 PM
Yes, the 18" refers to the wheel diameter which will give you just under 18" of cutting capacity to the left of the blade. The cutting capacity for resawing will vary from machine to machine but 12" to 16" seems to be the norm.

My suggestion would be to go with the Bridgewood PBS 440 (18" saw).

Brian :)

BTW, since these machines are made overseas, the 18" wheel diameter is actually a bit smaller. My MM16 is closer to 15 1/2" diameter.

Chris Friesen
02-21-2007, 6:56 PM
BTW, since these machines are made overseas, the 18" wheel diameter is actually a bit smaller.

See my earlier post. The wheels on the Steel City 18" are actually a bit over 18.5" in diameter.

Brian Hale
02-21-2007, 6:58 PM
See my earlier post. The wheels on the Steel City 18" are actually a bit over 18.5" in diameter.

Sorry Chirs, i didn't read your post. It makes me wonder if Steel City is the exception or my MM is?

Bert Johansen
02-21-2007, 7:52 PM
Ron, I have the Rikon 18" and am very pleased with it. One exception was a start capacitor which failed almost immediately, but Rikon got me one in just a few days, and all has been fine since then.

For example, right out of the box I resawed a plank of tiger maple with the included 3/4 inch blade and it was a snap. The 2 HP motor didn't hesitate at all. I particularly like the table. Sturdy and easy to tilt. Of course, the tension release sure beats cranking down the blade tension, and the adjustments are all easy and well designed.

Alex Yeilding
02-21-2007, 11:19 PM
I don't think there is a rule and exception here. They are just metric sized saws being sold "by the inch". The PBS440 is 440mm = 17.32". The Steel city is probably 470mm = 18.5". I suspect that what is sold as the MM16 here is the S400P, and 400mm = 15.75"

Jeffrey Schronce
02-21-2007, 11:20 PM
My suggestion would be to go with the Bridgewood PBS 440 (18" saw).

I was at Wilke yesterday. They had ZERO PBS in stock other than (1) 3 phase 440. This includes all 3 PBS models. I asked if they planed to continue the line and the guy said "I think so" with no other comments. I also noted that they had ZERO Bridgewood drill presses on the floor or in stock.

Brian Hale
02-22-2007, 4:21 AM
I was at Wilke yesterday. They had ZERO PBS in stock other than (1) 3 phase 440. This includes all 3 PBS models. I asked if they planed to continue the line and the guy said "I think so" with no other comments. I also noted that they had ZERO Bridgewood drill presses on the floor or in stock.

I assume they're taking orders for the next shipment since their website notes they're out of stock at this time but orders will be filled first come first served.

David Stonner
02-22-2007, 4:00 PM
The Grizzly and Rikon have rack and pinion blade tilt with the Grizzly trunion being case iron (don't recall if the Rikon is cast iron).

The Grizzly has a steel trunnion. I was just in the Springfield, Mo. store yesterday and confirmed it (I am considering this saw too). However, being steel doesn't mean it was wimpy...I waited until the sales staff were looking the other way and hung all 200 pounds of my weight on the corner of the table and it didn't budge. The Grizzly 21" bandsaw has cast iron trunnions, but not the 19" G0514X. The rack and pinion table tilt is nice and so is the rack and pinion blade guard height adjustment. I don't like how you have to use an allen key to adjust the blade guides, but that could be remedied with a trip to the hardware store. It looks like a great saw for the price. Of course, I didn't get a chance to cut with it, but did demo the smaller 0513 which is very similar and it cuts very well and runs smoothly.

Dave

Dave Diana
02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
I’m not sure where you are located but I know someone who is selling a 20” Jet with a 5HP motor and additional 2HP motor and about 6 blades for $750 in the Baltimore area. I personally have a Steel City 18” BS and am very happy with it. It is a well built machine and has plenty of power.