PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum and WW, sharing recent project

James Rowe
02-19-2007, 1:00 AM
New to forum and woodworking. Just finished this gift for oldest daughter, a wine cabinet. Maple with a light cherry stain.

So far I have a very modest basement workshop with sears tablesaw, router table, various power and hand tools. I have found the forum very informative and look forward to building out my shop.....

Neil Bosdet
02-19-2007, 1:06 AM
Hi James,

Welcome! You're doing very well if you're new to woodworking. Your cabinet is very nice.

James Rowe
02-19-2007, 1:25 AM
Thanks Neil, this is my third project. Like many folks who grew up on a small farm I have done my share of rough carpentry and feel comfortable with power tools but this is my first try at making a "cabinet".

Dan Forman
02-19-2007, 2:58 AM
Welcome to the Creek James, and darned nice cabernet... err, cabinet.

Dan

Curt Harms
02-19-2007, 4:42 AM
Thanks Neil, this is my third project. Like many folks who grew up on a small farm I have done my share of rough carpentry and feel comfortable with power tools but this is my first try at making a "cabinet".

Your background sounds like mine. The thing to watch out for here is sort of like watching New Yankee Workshop and the like-the "I need that" syndrome:rolleyes: which can have a negative impact one ones fiscal health. In my case bench top saw>contractor saw>cabinet saw> +planer+jointer+ + + =new shop/new house to house it all. Sure is fun though.:D

Curt

lou sansone
02-19-2007, 4:48 AM
welcome to the creek. very nice piece of furniture
lou

David Cramer
02-19-2007, 7:56 AM
Excellent James!!! No matter how modest you think your shop is, you proved that it "doesn't matter" how you get there, but that you get there. By the looks of your project, your sears tablesaw has served you fine. Nicely done James. I'm sure your oldest daughter is quite proud of your results, and her Dad too. Keep'em coming! Cheers!

Dave

John Miliunas
02-19-2007, 8:40 AM
"First try..." (Heavy sigh....:o ) You guys and your "first try's" make me feel quite inadequate, thank you! :mad:

Seriously, very well done, James and, I'll bet your "rough" carpentry looks pretty dern good, too! Welcome to SMC and thanks for starting off with pics! You'll do just fine 'round these parts. :) :cool:

Jim Becker
02-19-2007, 9:22 AM
Welcome aboard, James! And that's a beautiful piece...your daughter's a lucky gal!

Glenn Clabo
02-19-2007, 9:40 AM
Welcome to SMC...and wow...you done good on the wine cabinet.

glenn bradley
02-19-2007, 9:46 AM
Welcome. You'll like it here. Nice looking piece.

James Manning
02-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Welcome to the creek James, your daughter is going to love the wine cabinet. And great start with the pictures too!

Don Bullock
02-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Welcome James. Your equipment list sounds familiar. I wonder how many of us started with a Craftsman table saw from Sears. That's a nice wine cabinet you built for your daughter. I'm sure she will display it proudly.

Paul Douglass
02-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Welcome Mr. Row. There is one problem with that cabinet.. It's empty! Look a lot better with some wine bottle in it! Nice job.

Mike Shoemaker
02-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Welcome, that's a heck of a first project.

Ralph Okonieski
02-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Basement workshop, ugh! I hope you were able to get the wine cabinet out of your basement workshop easier than one of the projects I built. "Space challenged" is the operative phrase. The lesson I learned was to make smaller projects.

Very nice cabinet !!