PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 4000 for a Powermatic 64a

Bill Leung
02-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Hi guys,

Today someone local was selling a Powermatic 64A, 2 months old. He said he wanted something smaller so I e-mailed him to see if he was interested in my 1 year Bosch 4000 saw ($550). I had been wanting to upgrade anyway. He said this was the Bosch saw he was going to replace the PM with so I took an hour drive and we swapped saw, even trade. What do you guys think? Did I do good? I have seen mixed reviews but wanted to start using something a bit bigger at least until the sawstop contractor version comes out at which time I would reevaluate.

David Wambolt
02-19-2007, 1:00 AM
From a pricing perspective, I think you did very well. I own the Bosch 4000-09 and a Sawstop. Previously I had a Jet JWTS-10 contractor saw. I have found that the Bosch is a very handy table saw, especially after I added the outfeed supports. I would not want to run it as my primary saw, but for times when I need to roll it from one location to another and do some quality cuts, it will get the job done with great results.

I've never used the Powermatic 64A, but it seems most people are happy with it. Ultimately if you're happy, that's all that counts. Congrats on the new saw. :D

Bill Leung
02-19-2007, 1:39 AM
Hi David,

I was torn when I was thinking about it during the morning, even when I made the decision to trade, I had a moment of regret especially when it was so easy to load into the truck. I had the outfeed supports as well and the saw was very useful. This is my primary saw and I had been wanting to upgrade for the following reasons.

1) The ability to rip sheet goods was doable but the bosch had a small table. I had contemplated the Rosseau system to get a little more rip capacity which would have been $400
2) I'm limited in space so I don't have room for a bigger cabinet saw.
3) The option of a router attachment (space issues)
4) A cast iron table to potentially get a slider attachment would be cool.
5) The contractor saws have more options available. magnetic featherboards seem really nice.

Aside from all that, the saw never left the house so portability was not an issue (next week, I will probably will need to do it).

I haven't set it up yet but... yes, I am happy with the decision (but still waiting for the sawstop contractor to come out:p .

scott spencer
02-19-2007, 6:20 AM
"What do you guys think? Did I do good?"

Did you do good?! :eek: Now there's an understament. :rolleyes: The PM64a is one of the nicest contractor saws you can buy. The Bosch is a fine jobsite saw but it's like comparing a 1 ton diesel truck to a 4 cyl Isuzu. You got a ton more real estate, a huge fence upgrade, a quieter more reliable motor, alot more stability, lifetime saw....etc.,etc. Every indicator tips in your favor as far as I'm concerned! You should send him a dinner certificate! :)

Enjoy your new saw!

Kelly C. Hanna
02-19-2007, 8:39 AM
Man, that's a deal....the 64A is a much better saw for everything except travelling to the jobsite! You stole it!!

Joe Spear
02-19-2007, 8:43 AM
I loved my Bosch when I had it, but all the above comments are right on the money. The PM is a more usable saw, and with a straight trade you got the better of the deal.

Jim Becker
02-19-2007, 9:47 AM
What Scott and Kelly said...you stole that PM saw. It's one of the absolutely best contractors' style saws available and until recently, one of the only left-tilt machines in that format.

Bill Leung
02-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all your reponses guys, your opinions to a newbie are much appreciated. FWIW, the guys bought the floor model for $600 and change with a mobile base. He was very honest (aren't all woodworkers) with his information as he offered to show me the reciept but I forgot to look. I did initially offer the trade and cash but he said he was good. Made me worry a bit before I met the guy but after meeting and talking to him, it was all good. The guy had the Bosch 4000 and sold it to get the PM, he regretted the decision because it took up too much space. At the end of day, we both had what we wanted.