PDA

View Full Version : Table saw recommendation

Luke McFadden
02-19-2007, 12:01 AM
So I've seen the warnings of not to buy cheap table saws. Anything from the Borg that's any were close to $200. But I'm on a tight budget, and I'm really tight on space. I'm also limited on time, meaning that whatever I do end up getting, really won't be used all that much most likely. But I don't want a terrible table saw. What are some recommendations for a minimal table saw? Put my shoes on: very new to woodworking, young married with a 2 year old, almost done with college, 1/4 of a garage to work out of, and wants to begin to dabble with table saws. I'm wanting to build simple things, like shelves, small tables, simple cabinets, laminate canoe paddles, etc...

So, what would be at the bottom of your list that you would think of getting? And then the step under that? I know that it is cheaper to only buy once, but I don't have any experience at all, blah blah...

Thanks!

L

chris fox
02-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Luke,
Based on your situation I would buy used tools. Searching craiglist, local listings and Ebay you can find good quality tools. Even check your local WW'ing sources for classifieds. I bet you would find a used Jet or Delta contractors saw that would match the price of what you can afford. Many will agree good used tools are much better than cheap new tools. Good chnace these tools are well kept and tuned with a upgraded fence. They sell to upgrade to a cabinent saw.

I would search for a used Jet, Delta, Grizzly and Rigid.
Good luck.

Chris

Chris Bolton
02-19-2007, 12:19 AM
I'd hunt around for a deal on a place like craigslist or your local buy and sell paper. You won't get a unisaw for a couple of hundred, but it's very possible that you'd get an older model saw that has a steel top and a half way decent motor. A table saw will open all sorts of avenues and I think it is worth getting something that you'll be happy with for a couple of years at least. You're right that a $200 BORG special isn't really likely to turn your crank for too long but that same money just might get you a deal if you're in the right place at the right time. I'd vote for not buying a NEW saw. but taking a friend to see and older "previously loved" saw.

As they say, you don't catch any fish if you ain't at the pond. Best of luck.

Mike Henderson
02-19-2007, 12:20 AM
When I retired, someone gave me an older Craftsman contractor's saw. I had to buy a motor, new pulleys and a link belt AND do a lot of tuning up but it's a very usable saw now. I recently added a Biesemeyer fence that Amazon had on sale for about $270, but I used the stock fence for several years.

One day I'll buy a cabinet saw - maybe a SawStop - but I never felt limited by the Craftsman saw.

If you find an older Craftsman contractor's saw for a good price, don't reject it.

Mike

Corey Hallagan
02-19-2007, 12:40 AM
Luke you will get alot of opinions on this subject. I understand that you are on a budget like many young folks. Don't fall into the trap and go into debt to outfit your shop. It doesn;t make sense. Given that...$200.00 is a very slim budget ....$300.00 is better if you can save a little bit more. Don't be in too big of a hurry though. Used equipement can be a good thing like some suggested but buying used equipment for someone like yourself can lead to big dissapointment if you don't know alot about the equipment. If I was you I wouldn't look at used equipment unless I take someone who knows a good deal about it.
Buying once is a fine rule if you can afford it but reality is, many of us, myself included wouldn't of ever been able to afford to get into woodworking if we did it that way. That's life, you buy better when you can afford it. Go to Home Depot and look at the Ryobi BTS 1000.( I think that is the model #, it has the sliding miter table and drilled for a router in the extension) It is a decent saw for the money. You won't be able to do real heavy large cabinet work but will handle many jobs well. Good luck and when you do get your equipment be safe and take care of it.
Corey

lou sansone
02-19-2007, 4:51 AM
I agree with the others....buy good quality used equipment if you can
lou

Dewayne Reding
02-19-2007, 6:00 AM
I didn't listen and now I have two table saws. :) If you want to build anything larger than birdhouses, then get a used contractor saw. You may have to buy a better fence when you can afford it, but you'll end up with something worth owning.

Roy McQuay
02-19-2007, 6:54 AM
I started about 30 some years ago with all hand tools, mostly used, and as I needed and could afford, would shop at flea markets for better and electric tools. Make sure you like this hobby first. If you do, you will keep buying what you need. There is nothing you can't make with hand tools. Power tools just speed things up. I now have a shop full of large machines and still use the old hand tools. Start slowly, be patient, and learm.

Jim Thiel
02-19-2007, 7:10 AM
Estate auctions are another great place to find tools on the cheap. due diligence will often be rewarded.

Jim

David Cramer
02-19-2007, 8:03 AM
Luke

Based off of your stated budget, Craiglist, used, the BTS 1000 are all great suggestions, in my opinion. I would also check home centers for closeouts or displays. I worked at a Home Center awhile back and believe you me, there were deals to be had. It's really all boils down to timing. My manager got rid of a Delta Lathe, not the midi, for $150 because he wanted the floor space for other things. Of course, I found out about it "after he sold it"......arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Great suggestions by all the posters before me, I just thought I add another thought to the mix. It never hurts to ask for a dept. mananger or store manager to make an offer. Good luck!

Dave