PDA

View Full Version : Truned Twice Today

George Tokarev
02-18-2007, 6:21 PM
Nice lazy day, so I got in a couple of turnings. One this morning was a cup for the Paschal candle at church. Made the stand a number of years back, made a small regular top for use with the candle, or an extended top with cups for advent. Well and good, but this year someone forgot and ordered a 2" candle instead of the 1.5 we've used for years. Whipped out one with some shellac finish before 9, and it looks like it'll work. Of course, I had to mention the problem with the follower, which was now too small for the candle. You wouldn't think churchgoers would use such language.

Had the wife do some shots of sanding this afternoon after she and I watched Seven Brides and Paint Your Wagon. Platter of sorts from a very warped piece of birch. Slab between two bowl blanks. Looks pretty good, and was a decent demo. Linseed oil, Poly to follow.

The shim under the one side was to get the rim at more or less equal height. Off-center heart caused some spectacular warp along with the slash knot. It's going to show some shimmer once it's done. I could see it when it was fully wet.

George Conklin
02-18-2007, 8:10 PM
Beautiful platter, George. Love the form:) .

Bernie Weishapl
02-18-2007, 8:18 PM
Good looking piece George. Looks good. Nice job.

John Hart
02-18-2007, 8:30 PM
I can see the shimmer now. Yup...it's gonna be pretty. You do good work sir.

Nancy Laird
02-18-2007, 9:19 PM
The grain in that platter is just stunning. I want to see the finished piece.

Nancy

Jim Becker
02-18-2007, 9:31 PM
Very handsome platter, George!!

Tom Sherman
02-19-2007, 9:34 AM
Yeah George, great looking platter.