PDA

View Full Version : Lasering Gemstones help

Tom Majewski
02-18-2007, 5:22 PM
A jeweler gave me some assorted gemstones- citrine, ruby, topaz, amethyst, to put his logo on. I already tried a quartz and had too much fracturing around the letters. The jeweler said it was ok, but I thought I could do better. I used 50/50 for 40W. This is pretty small, almost needing a magnifying glass to see. The attached logo is about a grain of rice size. I tried 10 times to get an in-focus macro pic of it, but couldn't do it.

I'd hate to give them back and say I can't do it, and I'd also hate to give him a lousy laser job.
Anyone have any tips or experience in this ? I only have 2 more sides of the quartz to practice on.

Thanks,
Tom

Frank Corker
02-18-2007, 6:18 PM
Hi Tom, can't say I have tried any of those stones, but had it been me I think I would have gone for 100 power 45 speed at 600 dpi, same settings I use for glass and most granite. To avoid the fracturing I would have still covered it with wet paper and washing up liquid to keep it cool

Tom Majewski
02-19-2007, 4:05 PM
Thanks Frank,

I didn't use the wet paper (as I usually do for glass) because I thought it wouldn't help on such a small area. I'll give it a try and also try for a picture again.

Frank Corker
02-19-2007, 5:50 PM
I would Tom, I'm sure it keeps that kind of stuff from fracturing, always works on glass so why not quartz.

Karen Thompson
04-26-2009, 4:58 PM
A jeweler gave me some assorted gemstones- citrine, ruby, topaz, amethyst, to put his logo on. I already tried a quartz and had too much fracturing around the letters. The jeweler said it was ok, but I thought I could do better. I used 50/50 for 40W. This is pretty small, almost needing a magnifying glass to see. The attached logo is about a grain of rice size. I tried 10 times to get an in-focus macro pic of it, but couldn't do it.

I'd hate to give them back and say I can't do it, and I'd also hate to give him a lousy laser job.
Anyone have any tips or experience in this ? I only have 2 more sides of the quartz to practice on.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I know this was a while back but I just wondered out of curiosity how you got on with the gemstones particularly the amethyst?

Karen