PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell, 37-220 jointer

Bob Ivy
02-18-2007, 5:21 PM
I just purchased a used Rockwell 37-220 jointer and have a couple of questions. The base and infeed table are both in good shape and the motor and blades are new. The outfeed and fence are a different story. They both have sections that look as if someone spilled an acid on them, 4"diameter on the outfeed and approx. 2" dia. on the fence. I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever worked with a problem like this? My thoughts were clean the table and fence and fill with JB Weld and sand to match peripheral areas or have someone add fill material, by welding, and mill the area to match the rest of the table or fence. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is the correct color for this item?
Thanx, Bob

Roy McQuay
02-18-2007, 5:29 PM
I don't mean to assume anything, this is just in case you don't know. Make sure that whomever welds on cast iron, knows how to weld cast iron.

JayStPeter
02-18-2007, 5:58 PM
Does it affect reasonable operation of the jointer? If not, just leave it. I had to put a wooden fence over the slightly warped fence on my 37-220 (back when I had it). There were holes already there that looked original.

glenn bradley
02-18-2007, 7:10 PM
I'm voting for bondo as the surface is just for support and abrasion is minimal.

Richard Butler
02-19-2007, 8:31 AM
JB weld seems like a good idea to me but only if the pitted areas cause an issue. How deep are the damaged areas? You might think about having the tables reground.