PDA

View Full Version : Model-specific manual/parts numbers for older Jet Bandsaw?

Dave Morris
02-18-2007, 5:18 PM
Hi all, first post here. I picked up a used Jet 14" Wood & Metal bandsaw, but it's in pretty rough shape and needs a lot of work. I'm not afraid to tackle the job, but my attempts to find info on the saw are coming up dry. The model number is JBS-14M/W, 1HP single phase motor, the Jet stock number is 708516, and the serial number is 448713.

This forum seems to have a wealth on information, so I tired searching first, and nothing turned up for that Jet stock number. I know the OWWM site doesn't cover Jet tools (not that this would even qualify as OWWM). For some reason, Jet's website comes up dry for this stock number as well, although it shows a stock number of 708116K for their current 14" wood/metal bandsaw.

Problem is, while Jet's website doesn't have a manual for the stock number of my bandsaw, some of the info I need is particular to this model. I looked at the parts lists for their 14" open- and closed-stand bandsaw models. Although I'm sure some of the parts are the same, one of the problems with the saw I bought is the shaft and bearings are completely shot for the step pulley that allows speed changes on the wood/metal saw. By this I mean they are ground up so bad I can't determine what size they are to replace them. How the previous owner could run the saw long enough to get that bad is beyond me, but I guess it takes all kinds...

Anyway, this step pulley assembly does not show up on the files for the other 14" bandsaws parts lists. No surprise there, but this step pulley assembly doesn't even show up on the "body" or "stand" files for their current 708116K multi-speed 14" wood/metal saw parts list either. :mad: What's up with that? :confused:

Anybody have the parts numbers for these pieces? Is my Jet 708516 14" wood/metal bandsaw the same as the current Jet 708116K 14" wood/metal bandsaw? Any way to find a born-on date from it's serial number?

My job keeps me away from the phone during the work day, so calling Jet's customer relations number is going to be tough. My wife can make the call to order parts for me, but the more specific the info I can give her, the better, if you know what I mean. ;)

Thanks for any help.

Dave