PDA

View Full Version : Ready for dust collection. Finally. Recommendations??

Brent Simons
02-18-2007, 1:42 PM
I have spent a lot of time on this site and Woodnet along with a lot of venodr dust collection websites. I have finally finished building a new house with an attached garage and an extension for my woodshop. My father in-law has moved down south and given me all of his tools and machines of which I am very grateful. Now questions:

1. I need dust collection and would like to go with a cyclone. I think? At least that is what seems to be the most popular.

2. I have a layout of my shop but keep changing it. All of my research has led me to Grizzly, Penn State, Clearvue, Oneida Air and I have tried to absorb as much of Bill Pentz's site as possible. How do you make the best decision? I have spent most of this morning on Oneida Air's website which has a comparison of machines and different charts with airflow numbers.

Has anyone seen this? http://www.oneida-air.com/oneida_advantages.htm I know Oneida air is more costly but they seem to have the best machines overall and when I do some rough numbers the best value.

What am I missing? Can anyone offer advice? Would be greatly appreciated.

Al Killian
02-18-2007, 3:13 PM
What about building one? It would be a fune project.

glenn bradley
02-18-2007, 3:49 PM
The following is meant with all the best intentions and devalues nothing and no one . . .

First - Don't get obsessed like I see so many other get which renders them unable to make a decision where as they do nothing.

Second - I'm no expert but I read every DC discussion on SMC.

Third - I'm getting by with a 1HP Delta and an air scrubber. Primarily since I can leave the garage door and side door open 10 months a year.

Fourth - From the hip: Cyclone, 3HP, 6" duct, as much CFM as you can stand. That will get you darn close and save you a ton of time you could spend working in the shop. :D

John Hain
02-18-2007, 3:57 PM
I have spent a lot of time on this site and Woodnet along with a lot of venodr dust collection websites. I have finally finished building a new house with an attached garage and an extension for my woodshop. My father in-law has moved down south and given me all of his tools and machines of which I am very grateful. Now questions:

1. I need dust collection and would like to go with a cyclone. I think? At least that is what seems to be the most popular.

2. I have a layout of my shop but keep changing it. All of my research has led me to Grizzly, Penn State, Clearvue, Oneida Air and I have tried to absorb as much of Bill Pentz's site as possible. How do you make the best decision? I have spent most of this morning on Oneida Air's website which has a comparison of machines and different charts with airflow numbers.

Has anyone seen this? http://www.oneida-air.com/oneida_advantages.htm I know Oneida air is more costly but they seem to have the best machines overall and when I do some rough numbers the best value.

What am I missing? Can anyone offer advice? Would be greatly appreciated.

Well it depends on what you believe about the harms of wood dust and working indoors. If you're like me, you worry about wood dust.

The first question is: Can you expel the dust outdoors? If so, you're in great shape. Get as big a DC unit as your lifestyle allows and suck away, blow outside.

If you can't expel outdoors, then the situation is more tricky. You have to decide how much you buy into protecting your lungs against all sizes of wood dust because you'll be reintroducing the air back into your shop after filtration.

Jim Becker
02-18-2007, 6:52 PM
I am a very satisfied Oneida customer...a repeat buyer, in fact. I had one of their small units when my shop was small (now in someone else's shop) and have a larger one in my current shop. I do not believe there is a better product on the market from anyone whether manufactured or in kit form in price ranges approachable by most home-shop enthusiasts.

David Cramer
02-18-2007, 8:31 PM
If you can afford it, go with Glenn's number 4 suggestion. Great advice if you ask me. Do it right, buy it once, and be done with it. Again, if you can afford it. If not, there are a lot of ways to get by. Good luck with your decision.

Dave